Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get decent wood knobs BESIDES thg

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Jul 27, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Getting a custom with an afzelia burl top and a wenge body w/curly hard maple and padauk neck. I want something to either contrast or match, but I dont know... Ive searched all over the internet (not quite) and found like.. ebony, boxwood and ...tigerwood.. knobs. Does anyone know anyone who makes custom hardwood knobs BESIDES THG? THG is too expensive, though they do have almost every wood option under the sun and all for the same price. What are your opinions?

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I recall a thread on the "Gallery hardwoods" section of this site, that sold wood knobs.
    you might do well to post over there
    - Tom

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Depends on the type of knobs...but you might call Pete Skjold. He makes his own knobs, and may make them for someone. Give him a call: 972-221-7455

I know he has all of those woods in stock, no idea what he might charge or even if he'd do it as a sale for just knobs, but couldnt hurt to try :)

Tell him Dave told you to bug him about em :D

4. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Someone PMed me with the Larry Davis thread on which he is selling exotic wood knobs at rather reasonable prices!
    Now... about what wood to use? Should knobs stand alone, or do you think I should do what many people do and just match em. You cant match afzelia burl (but maybe I could match the padauk? Im really undecided on this one. Theres no bad decision) ... unless you have more afzelia burl... which no one really does.
    --off topic--
    I bought it from All Righteous Hardwoods in person (as opposed to the internet). The guy there was really helpful, and had some veeeery different woods, and a good stock of them. He is a little on the expensive side, but keep in mind he WAS in fact a huge supplier to alembic. If you look at the pics on his website, youll see him sometimes wearing an alembic sweatshirt. He told me that Alembic would buy a $2,000 piece of burl and make 100-200 tops out of it, and most of you know what they charge for tops! I should best not go on with this... you never know whos lurking in these forums!

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Another place to get knobs is from TB'er Josh Curry. I saw a thread were a fellow TB'er was getting them made from Josh and bookmarked the site.

http://www.joshcurry.com/woodknobs.asp

I know you already got them, but for search purposes and for anyone else wanting some wooden knobs.

6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I personally love the way Ebony matches up with any other wood.
    In the past I have used ebony as a base for the knobs I have had.
    - Tom

7. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I didnt get them yet. but thanks a lot! Ill contact him immediately.

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Our very own Nateo makes wooden knobs for pretty cheap. Check out webdev.thechud.com/hackbasses/ .

Edit: The wenge/padauk tophats in the gallery were made for me. They are of excellent quality.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Josh isn't doing them anymore. I had a set pre-ordered, and we terminated it. Turned out to be more work than he wanted to deal with, and kinda' got into it by accident anyway.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Message or talk to Larry, and I'm sure he can point you in the direction you desire...he's super nice and full of great information. He's helped me a lot and I have yet to buy from him. :(

Hopefully soon!

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Larry who?

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Larry Davis, the man behind Gallery Hardwoods.

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Shame, Shame. I'm about to make my second purchase from him; an acrylicized figured andiroba fingerboard! The thing is absolutely beautiful. :hyper:

</hijack>

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Heh. I've been workin' on it.

Just dropped and email or two to Chris and Brian about a Benavente fan-fret with spalt-maple top and matching fingerboard. I know they deal with Larry a bunch, which is one of my goals too. Assuming things come together as planned, this fall I'll put $ down.

:)

15. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Whats andiroba?

16. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Larry says that it is a member of the mahogany family. He sent me some pics and I immediately fell in love.

17. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

Hey,

I really like these guys.. only problem is that their "send" button on their "contact us" page doesnt have a target! :crying: :crying: Do you have an email address where I can reach them???
    Thanks!

18. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
  19. Yeah, we haven't gotten that far yet. Hopefully soon.

20. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    This is not to sound disrespectful, but THG is NOT too expensive, although I'm sure that's relative to the purchaser. Roger works his butt off to make customers happy, and it's a LOT of work to turn out handmade knobs. I just got a set of flamed maple knobs for my Eshenbaugh...here's what I got for the money...great service, the ability to customize my own knob shape, whatever wood I wanted to use, inlays, etc..THE WORKS. All for 120 or so. To be honest, I'm not willing to work as hard as he is for 120 bucks....seriously. If you want "the custom look", be prepared to pay for it. It takes him several hours to make a set, with finish. Would YOU do a gig that took 3-4 hours for 120 bucks? I know I'm not. If you want to go cheap, you can go to Allparts...they have them for a few bucks. If you want, I have a wholesale account with them...I'll get you what they have at 45% off.