1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where to get files for nut and bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Arnopol, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I have a normal cheap jeweler's file set, but ther's only one tapered round file. I don't mind using it for the bridge, but I have to cut a nut down and I'd like to find some smaller files.

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
  3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
  4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thanks, Phil
    Dumb question---I assume that the profile on the edges of the files are rounded?

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea.

They are half round files that cut a string shaped profile in a U. Generally speaking if you have a string that is slightly larger than the "diameter" of the nut file you use a rounding motion to cut out to the actual string diameter.

6. Hey, guys,
    Im a novice at this but figure it's time to start trying my hand at various little bass repairs in a very controlled fashion instead.
    I need to lower my G string a hair in the bridge slot to accomodate an Anima...in reality, the string slot is fine, but I want to raise my other strings higher in relation to the G to help eliminate a buzz I have going on the D string
    So since Animas have a .078 width, do I need to be buying a file much larger than the .050? Im assuming I'll need a .070 file or something.
    But also concerned that if I change my top string to a non Anima, the slot will be too large...like I said, it seems to work at its present thickness, so perhaps I should go for a .050 file?
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Would be nice to learn how to do this and save money and really hone my instrument the way I'd like
    And thanks for the link to Stewart Macdonald

7. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've got the entire set of Stew Mac files and a couple of other sets as well, but for double bass nuts and bridges, you can do quite well by going down to your neighborhood ACE or True value hardware store and getting a set of Nicholson (US made) round chainsaw sharpening files. They come in 1/16" (.060), 3/32"(.090), and 1/8" (.120") as standard items for about $6 each and work great. You'll probably want the 1/4" version if you are a slap happy real gut E string type.They also tend to be long enough, about 10", so that you can break them into shorter sections for just the right hand size and use. I'd also look in the MSC suppliers big blue book for an almost limitless variety of files. It should be available on line in a giant PDF form.

j.
    ww.condino.com

8. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    +1 they work quite well!