Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get good Bass straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Oct 16, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Anybody know where to get good wide straps? Looking for a 3" or 3 1/2" wide strap. Something well made, comfortable, with good padding?

I know Levy's makes a M6 model 3 1/2" wide, with sheepskin fur on the back, but cant find it anywhere.

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  3. Not sure what I find more appealing... that strap, or the girl modelling it. :)

I may just have to order one. The strap, I mean. :p

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    :D

5. The TB store has 4" straps.

6. Best strap ever IMO is the Comfort Strapp. If you do a web search, a number of retailers that carry them will pop up. The standard 'long' version will be appropriate for most bassists, but they have a short and xtralong also. Wonderful strap. It's designed to be doubled over on the bass pin. However, since a lot of us use straplocks, I just cut the leather off just above the first hole on each side of the strap and install the staplocks on the single hole remaining... works great.

7. +1 for Comfort Strapps. I use 'em and I love 'em.

8. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Love the Comfort Strapp for Bass. It feels very comfy on my Deluxe P-Bass (and all my other guitars and basses). However, just ordered a couple extra wide straps from Slapspring. Am looking forward to trying them out upon arrival. :bassist: :hyper:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I couldn't hang with the Comfort Strapp. Yes, it's wide and padded but over the thick and wide padding is a 2 inch neoprene strap, and that still digs into my shoulder. Plus they weigh a ton. Up until today, I've been using the Planet Waves Bass Strap, which for $20 is not a bad strap at all. It still hurts my shoulder a little, but of all the other straps I've tried, it hurts my shoulder the least.

But I just got that Slapstrap from slapring.de and I haven't got to try it out yet on a gig, but I do like the way it hangs where it puts more weight on the bone of your shoulder as opposed to the shoulder blade, and I love the idea of heavy duty velcro to adjust it. I'll review it after a gig.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Please do. I have a ComfortStrapp as well, but I'm curious about the Slapstrap.

11. yeah, I LOVE my Comfort Strapp. Tis good.

12. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    the comfort strapp is niiiice and bouncy, but i still wake up with a little shoulder ache the day after a gig.

13. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    SLAPSTRAP say "infinite adjustability" - how does that work - is there some belt loop system tucked up under it?

I ask because it always seems like I need that inbetween position if there are only holes/ladder slots to adjust the length.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  15. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I recommend the Sadowsky neostrap. I have one, and it's absolutely fabulous. The best strap I've seen.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The way it works is pretty ingenious, actually. The end that hangs by your right arm opens up to reveal velcro, and the thin strap you use to adjust the height attaches to the velcro on both sides, so it holds in really good. And there's 3 different button holes you can use to attach your bass. The only thing is, unless you like a lot of excess strap hanging off your bass, you will need to trim it to suit the height that you like. But it does work, and works well. Still don't know if my shoulder can take it, but early reports are good.

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Moody's!!!!! Best strap EVER!

18. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have one of those Slapstraps, the infinite adjustability works very well. It is tanned "slick" on both sides, so it may not be a good choice for neck-diving basses.

"Italia Straps" makes a nice 4" wide strap for reasonable money. They show up on ebay regularly, I won some for under $30 @ and I'm very happy with them.

19. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Jeez. For $105 it better be.