Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get Jazz 5 Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by that one guy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hey all,

It's not a national secret that Fender's quality control can be hit or miss. well i came across a "hit" in the form of a 2000 MIM Deluxe Jazz V. It just seems to be a good cut. the neck is excellent! the price was right, and it played so well that i bought it right away.

the thing is, it's candy apple red. it's a beautiful finish, but the color is quite simply not my bag. of course i knew this when i purchased it, but i had just planned on buying a nice warmoth replacement body....

well, i just got off of the phone with warmoth, and apparently there jazz 5 bodies don't have the corect neck pocket that i need for the neck i have.

sooooo, does anybody know anywhere else that i can get a replacement body for a 20 fret Fender Jazz V Neck. Again, it's from the Deluxe active MIM model, although I'm 95% sure it's the same neck as the standard USA 5 string models (non-deluxe).

OR if anybody has a different color body that they want to trade for my CAR one, i would be interested in that.

PS - i'm calling USA custom guitars in the morning when they open.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Why don't you get a Warmoth with an unfinished neck pocket, provided the bridge mounting distance is correct you should be able to take it to a good shop and have that body notched perfectly for your neck, it'll be so snug you can post pics of bent business cards!!

3. that's a good idea. i know that warmoth bodies are for 22 fret necks....but i'll call them again in the morning and see what they have to say about that.

any ballparks prices on having the neck pocket notched out? maybe i'll give dave nealy a call tomorrow too....

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Not sure on a price, but if the job is done well, from what it sounds like to me, it'll be well worth it!!The nice thing about Warmoth is you know EXACTLY what you are going to get..if nothing else, with Warmoth, you always get what you ask, and pay for!!!

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    What about a refin?

7. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Uh, yeah, the problem is that there would not be enough room between the neck pocket and bridge. The neck would need to mount where there is no wood on our Deluxe 5 body.

You could probably have a standard 4-string body re-routed to fit your 5-string neck, though. Only snag would be that the wider heel would hang out into the cutaway a bit.

8. thanks again to all that replied.

Tommy at USA custom wasn't in today, so I'll try again tomorrow.

FireAarro: a refin is a possibility, but i would prefer not to deal with the instrument downtime involved to pull it off. And more importantly, i just really dig straight oiled darker woods like walnut, koa, or mahogony.

my jazz 5 was made right around the time Fender changed over from poplar to alder, so i don't know what i have under the paint here....although it probably doesn't matter as it's probably not a pretty cut of wood anyway.

Brian (or anybody): is there a stain or something that could "mask" the green streaks that poplar often has? kind of make it more on the oiled walnut end of the spectrum? i'm sure it would at least be unique....i've never seen poplar with any finish other then paint.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Watco makes danish oil finishes in several natural shades and there are probably other options as well. You can do a search in "Luthier's Corner" here on TB. You might also contact Hambone here on TB. He builds basses and has a lot of experience with various finishing methods. He and others on the "Corner" will help you out.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    may i suggest if you love the tone of the bass that you refinish the body- you see, going from alder or poplar to mahogany or koa with definitely change the tone ( and weight ) of you bass... and you may not love it so much then.

then again, you may love it more... if you are a gambling man....

11. Well Adrian, you live in one of my favorite cities in the world....does that answer the gambling question?

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well then... all i can say is "Good luck!!"- :D

13. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Mike Tobias uses "Tulip Wood" aka domestic poplar for many of his MTD basses with cherry or amber stains and it comes out looking surprisingly cool! Orange/red/brown colors will filter out the green nicely... actually I've seen some nice tobacco burst finishes on Peavey's that were poplar. As for specific stain products to use, I'll let others chime in. Hambone....?

Now you should also consider that your body may not only be poplar but is also probably 3 or more pieces of wood, and not well matched for grain. It takes a lot of effort for a manufacturer to make a body blank look nice, so if it's not going to be seen, why would they bother? I remember we had a solid-color Jaguar in here to copy that turned out to be 7 pieces of alder with bondo filling in big voids.

14. I finally talked to Tommy at USA custom (nice guy by the way). Bad news though....pretty much the same situation as Warmoth.

Apperently there's nowhere to get the body I need unless it's a one off cutom piece.

So I guess a re-fin is my only option.....

Thanks everyone for all of the input!