1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to get OUTPUT Plug?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brewer9, May 30, 2002.

  1. brewer9


    Jul 5, 2000
    Something is wrong with the output plug on my bass. It cuts off my signal every so often. Its tight on the outside so I think I need to buy a replacement. Does anyone here know where to get a good one? Are they all the same?

    (PS: Sorry if I put this thread under the wrong listing):confused:
  2. You can get one from


    Search: "Input Jack"

    I would recommend "Switchcraft"
  3. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Damn, this avatar is haunting me :eek:

    On all of my 3 favorite forums, there's somebody with this baby as avatar.
  4. You should try to solder the jack, the wires are probably lose
  5. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    w3rd. the problem was always the in wires whenever my jack wasnt working properly IIRC.
  6. You shouldn't need to replace the input jack. These things are a more mechanical/electrical connection. They don't "break".

    What is the most common problem is the wires that are soldered to the metal tabs at the back get cracked loose, either by the bass being bumped about, or a very poor slder job. Open up the bass and check them. I would resolder them in anyway.

    So too, a input jack consists of a metal "arm" (for lack of a better term) whereby when u put the cabe in, it shapes the contour of it and holds it in. Sometimes this metal arm gets bent back slightly and doesn't grip the input lead. Usually caused when someone steps on the lead whilst playing and its yanked out. Open up the bass, grab a pair of pliers and bend the arm closer to the hole just slightly. Doesn't need much.


  7. brewer9


    Jul 5, 2000
    So, I guess what your saying is that I should try to resolder or rebend first before getting a new one. I'm not good at this kind of thing but I'll give it a shot.

    PS: why is a jack that outputs sound called an input jack?

    PPS: Thanks everyone!!!!
  8. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    [PS: why is a jack that outputs sound called an input jack? ]

    Darn good question!

    My answer is:I don't have the foggiest.

    Whatcha think, Merl? You want to field this one? :) :) :)

  9. The Input Jack is actually a bastardised term. It is actually a Mono (or stereo) socket. I guess it gets lumped into the Input category because it uses the same connection/plug as on our amps which are input sockets. Not to mention you are plugging something into it... eh maybe..:rolleyes:

    The jack is actually the plug. Not the socket. But who cares right? We all know what you're talking about. :p


  10. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

    Works for me! :)
  11. Wow i got something right? cool!

    heehee ever have those weeks where people seem to come to you all at once for technical adivce? This week its computers... I don't know much, but i guess i know more than the average joe... so my aunty, my gf etc all ringing me up "hey i get this error...." hmm anyone need a amp fixed?? lol. I am getting withdrawals. :p



Share This Page