Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get pickup Routing done?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CzarMike, Dec 24, 2002.

1. I have a nice Jazz bass that I would like to add my Rio Grande Powerbucker to, but I took it to a friend who is an experienced woodworker and he said that I should find someone who does this sort of thing on a regular basis to get the best fit. How can I go about finding someone to do this for me? I'm in Central IL, but wouldn't be opposed to just sending the bass's body to a good luthier if needed, but I don't want to spend a fortune doing this. I can wire it up myself, routing the pickup's cavity is the only thing I need done.
    Thanks a BILLION,
    Mike

2. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    It is totally possible for you or your friend to do it yourself, knowing a few things. Does your pickup have pole pieces? If so then find out where on the bass the poles line up. If they are bar poles, then just figure out whether you want to line up the pickup on center with one of the Jazz pickups, add the pickup in a totally different spot, or bias one coil toward the bridge or neck in an exsisting hole. http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&sku=0583&ITEM=catalog/sku.html
    this link is a specialized routing bit for the cavities. You can make a templet and then just trace it with the router. Dont buy anything except tools from stewart mcdonald though, especially thier electronics. Over priced and crappy. get your other goods from www.warmoth.com

if you are not a do it yourselfer, Rich K at www.timeelect.com will help you. He has a little shop in jersey. His big thing is tube amps. Check out his personal gear. Vintage collectors beware... Just give him a call first. He is a great guy who knows his stuff, and will talk shop till you hang up the phone.