1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to get quality tortoise shell blanks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Continuum, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Continuum

Continuum

Oct 31, 2005
    Tortoise shells pickguards can look the best and worst as a pickguard choice depending on the materials used. In the past 5 years or so, Lakland has started using a nasty bright red shade of tortoise like Fender Japan did in the 80s and 90s. Sadowsky and Alleva Coppolo have by far the most detailed and evenly mixed tortoise out of any builder today.

Where do people like Sadowsky and Alleva Coppolo get their tortoise shell blanks from?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I had a P-bass from Warmoth and their tortoise shell pickguards look amazing just like the Sadowsky you posted. Great true brown tones with awesome swirl to it. They sell blanks too.

3. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
  4. Continuum

Continuum

Oct 31, 2005
    I got kind of lucky last night when I remembered that most of the high end companies deal with Luthier's Mercantile International (lmii.com) for wood and some materials. Their tortoise shell blank page is great. It has 5 different styles as shown below. I was looking for the PGTSG/PGTSGL style.
    [​IMG]

5. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Aliexpress is also a source for decent tortie material, if you don't mind the wait. You can either look under tortoise shell or magma color pickguard material. Very often, you can also find the stuff on ebay and amazon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Ali Express is a website that sells counterfeits from overseas. I would suggest not buying anything from them.