Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get replacements for tuner's plastic washer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Apr 20, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    the tuning machine for my guitar has two washers:a black metal one and a white plastic one.I broke the plastic washer while tuning the strings.
    where can i get replacements for this washer?
    do non guitar related hardware shops sell these washers?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Your best bet is to contact the tuner's manufacturer. Absent that, take the existing washer to a local home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes, you'd be suprised to find what they have in their specialty parts drawers. If those two don't work, you'll probably have to purchase another tuner.

3. I have the solution to this little problem. Total cost...0$

Get some waxed dental floss - the thin stuff. Start by tying the floss tightly around the shaft of the tuner. Then begin wrapping the floss around the shaft as tight as you can. Keep wrapping until you fill the void left by the missing washer. When it done, tie it off, tightly, and burn back the tail of the floss with a lighter. You can't tie this floss too tight - crank it all you want. It's wax coating will lubricate itself and not bind up the tuner.

Hope this helps