1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where to get scale printouts of fret placements

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by airrick, Jun 5, 2007.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i did a search, but nothing i could find would give one a scale printout of fret placements

2. read the FAQ

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I had a look at the FAQ like Wilser mentioned to the OP. Although there is a mention of WFret, I can't find the link in the FAQ.

WFret will print out a sheet from your printer with scale line printout. You just need to cut out the three or four different columns and tape them together in lenght to get the full 24 fret lifesize placements. Glue that on your fretboard and start cutting.

5. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    to those who said its better to measure, how can i measure 1.605xxx inches? is there i special tool for this?

6. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO

I'm still waiting for the iron on patch. ;)

I think WFret is the way to go so far. Of course I'm still working on my first build and haven't had to worry about it yet.

7. a digital caliper will do that, well...so will a dial caliper, but digi is easier to read.

8. A regular one will do it aswell, but it's a pain in the ass to read it...

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

That's why there is a metric system. 4,08 cm can be found easily.

10. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Why would you want to waste time calculating the whole fretboard with calipers if you can get a printout that will do it for you from a free program :eyebrow:

11. I certainly wouldn't, but he asked what could measure 1.605".

Personally, I use a notched scale.

12. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    so, does anyone have the link to wfret?

13. well if you're gonna get that silly about measuring, have you made sure that the room you're doing the job in is at a stable temperature and is basically the same temperature that the bass is going to be played at?

don't sweat it...just do a mark at 1.60 and a mark at 1.61 and what you want is basically in between them...

you're gonna muss it up when you actually cut the channels for the frets anyway as it's basically impossible to cut every groove exactly on each mark unless you've got seriously accurate computer controlled cutting machines anyway...

Also, how accurately can you fret a string... most frets have got round profiles and where the string actually contacts the fret depends on a lot of variables, how high the fret is from the fingerboard, how hard does the bassist press down, where does he press his fingers... how fat/hard whatever are the strings...

as I said, don't sweat it...just get a good steel ruler with hundredths of an inch on and go as best you can... always measure twice before you cut... making sure each fret is at right angles across the fingerboard (unless you're doing something really fancy like a fanned fret...) is more important than sweating it over a couple of thou...

14. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    so i tryed this link for wfret ftp://mimf.com/pub/wfret.zip, but when i click open, nothing happens, is anybody else having this trouble?

15. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Also unless this program comes with a printer calibration routine, while it will most likely be acurate within itself you will probably find that you end up overall with a different scale length (by up to 1/4 inch) over what you intended. Even the high-end PostScript proofer we use at my work is out by 1mm or so over an A3 (297mm x 420mm) sheet so what hope has the average home inkjet got?

16. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  17. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i tried fretfinds svg thing and it doesn't match up (scale is diff) so ill just buy a caliper

18. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Sorry about that: best of luck to you!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021