Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to get speakon cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 10, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i am looking for an inexpensive source for some short (6-10foot) speakons.

also, does anyone know which gauge of wire they are typically made of?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Buy the wire and connectors at Parts Express and save a bundle. 12 or 14 gauge is fine for that short a run.

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    two male ends when going from amp to cab?

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, there's no way to attach a speakon socket to a wire anyway.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Cheapest route and best result: Get a length of 12 guage round electrical cable at your local home center for pennies a foot. This is THICK stuff. Then just screw a speakon connector to each end. If you don't have a local music store to get the ends, order them cheaply from partsexpress.com.

There's no soldering with these. They're pretty much idiot proof. Don't be afraid to take a look and try it yourself!

7. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    electrical wire? you mean like romex, the stuff you wire your house with?

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No, the flexible, round electrical cable inside the black wrapping. Its on the bulk spools of EVERY major home center. I think I paid 7 cents a foot for mine last year, and from outside appearances it looks just line any other speaker cable that is the same width of a 5 cent US coin.

9. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    is it just single conductor stuff?

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    its 2 conductor type SJ, but that may be hard to find locally as AC electrical connections are usually 3 conductor. I use Parts Express Sound King brand speaker wire.

11. why are speakon speaker cables priced so high? Reminds me of the high end home speaker wire that is 100/per foot and looks like a garden hose, even though conductors are only like 14 guage.

12. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i thought speakon were supposed to be a 4conductor wire?

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not for mono operation like a bass. You only need four poles (2 sets of + and -) if you're doing two challels through one cord. For mono operation you only need two. You can get 2,4 and even 8 conductor speakon plugs but for bass you only need the 2 or maybe the four depending on the wiring of your amp.

14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think you're referring to the GK version.

15. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yes. if i have the 4conductor then i can rewire my avatar 410neo with one set of conductors on the horn, and i can then biamp the 1001rb-II.

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Talk to Todd at Pro Cables N' Sound. Best Price/Quality I've found.

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Almost all of my speaker cables are Extension Cords from Menards. I buy different colors for different applications. I use all 14g. I just cut off the ends and with Speakon you use only 2 of the wires. It doesn't matter which 2, you just have to use the same 2 on both ends. I usually buy 100 foot cables and cut them into the correct lengths. I personally use Blue cable for front of House and Orange for Monitors. If I use side fills, I have Green. There are all sorts of colors available. The more fancy colors are much more expensive. Also at Home Depot you can buy SRO cable. This as hell and is used all over the industry. Expensive though.
    Good Luck. :eyebrow:

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Part of why they're more expensive than 1/4" cables is the cost of the connectors themselves. Neutrik NL4FC connectors alone typically sell for somewhere between $4 and $6 each! That's as much as $12 before you even factor in the cable. If you are looking for 4 conductor 12ga or 14ga wire, that is also going to be more expensive than the 2 conductor version of the same gauge.

A few weeks ago, Steel Sound was selling generic (not Neutrik) speakon connectors for ONLY 99 cents each. I purchased a dozen of them along with a 50' 14ga 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable for another $9, and made five of my own in a variety of lengths. Plus I was able to make two more that have a speakon at one end and a 1/4" on the other. Seven cables for a little over $20 plus shipping :cool:

- Frank.

19. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    and how were the generic connectors?

20. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actually not too bad. The plastic feels lighter (and a bit cheaper) than the Neutrik connectors I have, and while the terminals where the wires are connected fit the 14 gauge wire I used, I think 12ga might have been a tough fit. Other than that they compared quite well to the real NL4FC connectors on a few other cables that I have. If they were only a buck or two cheaper than the Neutriks, I probably wouldn't have even given them a thought... but at 99 cents, I figured why not check them out. Of course I checked the website the following day after I ordered mine and they were already sold out.

One thing about them though that I found a bit humorous. The Neutrik NL4FCs have the following marking on the side:

NEUTRIK
    SPEAKON
    NL4FC
    Liechtenstein

The generic connectors attempt something similar by using this marking:

HUI FENG
    SPEAKON
    NL4FC
    NINGBO MADE

Peace,

Frank.