Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to get strings for alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danman, Jan 18, 2005.

1. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am interested in tuning my spare bass to ADGB.
    This would then be more of a chording bass. My question is where would I get strings for this kind of tuning and what gauge would you reccomend?

Thanks guys

danman

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    http://www.juststrings.com/bassguitarsinglestrings.html

They have single strings in a number of brands. Since that tuning is essentially the same as the first 4 strings of a 6 string bass (with a B instead of a C) I would get the guages used for those strings on a 6er. D' Addario uses .032 - .045 - .065 - .080. That should get you in the neighborhood.

You might think about tuning the B to C, it will be easier. I know guitars use a B and you may be used to that, but keeping it tuned to 4ths like the rest of the strings is easier, and keeps chord shapes (and scales) the same fingering regardless of which string the root is on (unlike a guitar).

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for the info.

I think I will keep the B.
    I will be using this bass primarily for chording while I lead sing. The barr chords are so much easier with this tuning.

danman