1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to get Taper-Wound Sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LedBelli Bass, Apr 2, 2009.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Outside of LaBella Super-Steps and F-Bass' brand strings, is there anyone else making taper-wound string sets?

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    SIT makes several different brands of tapers. Taper core and even Power core with exposed core. Clear sounding low strings on them.

4. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    mmmm taper core.

5. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Status Graphite make them.

6. That's what I use too - SIT Powerwounds with a TW130 for B

7. Fender do too. Damn nice strings!!!

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just ordered a set of Pedullas. I believe these are tapered at least thru the A string. I am hoping that these are the same as Hard Rockin' Steels with a tapered E. The non tapered E that Labella just switched to is not as clean sounding.

9. 06141958

Apr 9, 2009
    Is there a difference between tapered core and exposed core strings?

10. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just installed a set of 45-105-128 Pedullas on my RV5. They are tapered B thru D. I would swear these are Hard Rockin' Steels but with the tapers. They even have the same wrap color and consistency.

They set up nicely on my RV5 and I really like the eveness in tone across the strings. Notes high on the neck fcoused. And this is the great Labella 128 Taper B that I have missed dearly. All in all definitely an improvement over the HRS set that only had a tapered B. We'll see how they last and do the jam session tonight.

11. Yes, "taper core" means there is at least one layer of wrap wire where the string contacts the bridge. "Exposed core" means there is no wrap wire at that point, just the core wire.