Where to get the best deal on a new PC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

I've got an aging desktop at home that my wife and I use for normal stuff, and the system drive may be on its way out. The hardware is aged to the point where it just wouldn't be worth it to replace the drive, find a compatible OS, and then deal with all the compatibility issues.

It's been a long time since I've bought a name brand computer (this one and my DAW computer were custom builds), and I'm looking for suggestions on a brand/model that will last and is priced well...

So, any ideas? Thanks!

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

I bought many Dell computer and I have been very happy with them. I just bought another one in december and I think they are great.
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Don't buy a brand name computer. That's all I can say. I used to run a computer business and let me be the first one to say that the gunk they put on there is useless other than the OS itself. They fill it up with trial versions of this and that that plug up the OS to the point of it being pretty much useless until you have a tech work on it. It's a little something Dell and Compaq don't want you to know about. You think you are buying a working machine, but instead you're granted with ad after ad of pop-ups and trial versions of worthless crap.

See if there isn't a local shop around there that deals in building PCs and put one together yourself. You'll be much better off in the long run, and you'll have the gear you want. You can always hit ebay too and see what is offered.
  4. Buy parts off the net and make your own, its not as hard as it may seem at first and you can get a hell of alot better quality one for cheaper

+ with using parts like that (usually) they are more upgradable

(i still look back and shudder at my old "tiny" Pc, it was apparently upgradable, but they had glued all the sockets :scowl:

If you are looking for one thats gonna be up with new specs look into the PCI-E type motherboards
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

The first thing I did when I received my laptop this December is to format everything and install XP from the cd. Not the hidden partition.
    Like you said, they install so many things that the computer is very slow.
  6. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Haha... Yes there is that option as well, which is also a wise choice if you want to buy "already built."
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I buy Dells for myself and suggest them to my friends. I am the "go-to-guy" for computer problems among the group I hang out with.

I will also recommend that the first thing you do when your new Dell arrives is to wipe it clean and install a no frills copy of XP right from the disk supplied with the new PC.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Anything but Alienware (not that you were even considering that brand....)
  9. Alienware are well good . . . well, id hope so for the prices they are . . .!
  10. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Just bought 2 refurbished PC's from the Dell Outlet for my 2 teens. $450 for each for a P4 3.0 with 512 mb memory. The kids already had monitors. The PC's come with licensed Win XP, and one came with 15 months of Anti Virus.

I think it's a great deal, but you have to know what your acceptable configuration is, and JUMP when it's there. Both came with almost NO shovelware at all. Delivery with in 5 days.
  11. mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    i agree with the buy the parts yourself from the net. a good site is newegg.com or pricewatch.com. you could use all your old pc guts (case, drives, power supply, cords, etc...) and just get a new mb, processor, and good ram. could build a killer system for around $250. just my .02
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guess we have vastly different definitions of "killer system." By my definition you can't even get a killer processor by itself for $250.

brad cook
  13. Too true, my P4 "prescott" 3.4Ghz cost about £250 last year when i built my pc, so, aye!
  14. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    +1. I have two home grown computers. The first is now networked into the second. For me, these positives outweigh any negatives:

- being able to call the shop up and get a live person to assist without going through numerous prompts
    - being able to drive it for servicing, not having to wait in line
    - overall, more personalized service
    - competitive pricing

Only thing I would add is to by from a reputable local shop; oine that has been around for a while and is likely to be around for a while.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um.. if you want it to last, how about a Apple Mac Mini?
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Make sure you are actually getting XP on a CD with the computer.
  17. mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    you can find this processor with mb and 256 (i know thats not much) for 270 on pricewatch. (in reference to a killer machine, a solid running machine, not one to run the world) thats a nice processor you got. sorry i under quoted by $20
  18. yeah, i said last year, ok, it was probably more like 18 months ago, either way, you should know about the depreciation of prices of these components

And now those sockets are becoming obsolite, with the new PCI-E standards coming out
  19. mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    and as soon as i can afford to upgrade to those, they will be obsolite. will the madness ever end.....