Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get Thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fastplant, Jan 13, 2003.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I've decided to get a Warwick Thumb 5 string bolt on (maybe neck-through if the price is right). Anyway, I'm looking around for the best price and the lowest I've seen is $1800 on Musician's Friend. Is there anywhere you guys would suggest that I can get a better price. I may go to Guitar Center (yeah I know) so that I can trade in some stuff to get a better deal. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

2. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    That's where I bought mine. It's going to be tough to find a better price. It seems that most everyone has close to the same prices for the upper end stuff. Unless of course, you want to buy a used one then you could look on E-bay. Musicians Friend is a good store and I think you'll be happy with their service. If you do buy from them, make sure they include a gig bag or hard case (preferred) with your bass. There wasn't one included with my purchase but they gave me a great deal on a Washburn hard case that my thumb-5 fit into pretty good. 30 bucks on a $130.00 case.

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Whats that opinion based on? Have you tested one before?

I too had the same idea of getting one of these basses due to its rep, so one weekend drove 40 miles to test one, then went on a lookout for second hand models.
    I strongly advise, as will the otehr TB'ers, that you test one first, especially with a strap (something I didnt do:p )

Oh yeah, sorry to state the obvious but have you cruised ebay yet, or dead set on a new model?

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh, don't worry, I've played quite a few thumbs, I said I THINK because if the price isn't right, I'm gonna wait a little while. I tried Ebay, but the prices aren't that great for used and there weren't too many choices. Maybe I'll try again later. Thanks though.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    used NT thumbs go for 1800...i would suggest shopping around for a used one. used bolt neckers go for a lot cheaper. i think bass central has a couple, and they're on ebay all the time.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Really? I've only seen one in the last week. Are there any disadvantages you guys see by buying used?

7. If you want new, then bear in mind that the Warwicks made in the past 5 or 6 years aren't as well-made as those from the 80s and 90s (see threads passim). With that in mind, I have a Warwick Thumb 5 Fretless which I never use and might be interested in selling:

<A HREF="http://www.k1wd.com/music/bass/bass.htm" TARGET="win2">basses</A>

it's the fifth one from the top. Drop me a note if you're interested. It comes with a Warwick hard-case.

- Wil

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I appreciate it, but I'm looking for fretted,thanks