Where to go Bass Shopping in Atlanta Georgia?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phephron, Jul 26, 2004.

1. phephron

May 5, 2004
    I am going to Atlanta Georgia for some vacation time, and I wanted to know of some good music stores to hit while I am there. I want to be able to see a number of different brands. I am probably going to go to Bass Atlanta, but I don't have $3500 to spend on a bass, so I need to go to a place that carries "working man" basses - Stingrays, Laklands, G&L, Fender, etc. Looking to get a bass in the $500 - $1000 range, but I don't have the chance to try compare things in Pensacola, so I need stores with good inventory. I am leaving on Wed, so if anyone can reply in the next day or 2, that would be most helpful. Also, if people know of salespersons to ask for at a specific store, that would be great! Thanks for the help.

2. The local Guitar Centers are nice. I like the one off of I-85. It has a good bit of inventory. Look up on guitarcenter.com and get the phone number. They will tell you what they have before you get there.
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Here are few I recommend:

Atlanta Discount Music 770-457-3400 (atlanta)
    Global Discount Music 678-303-0270 (smyrna)
    Ken Stanton Music 770-427-2491 (marietta)

There are a couple of Guitar Centers in town as well. The problem with all these places is that they are far enough apart that you'll spend a good bit of the day driving around.
  4. Isn't there a store that carries a lot of botique stuff called Bass Atlanta?
  5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Bass Atlanta has all price ranges, everything from KSD stuff to Laklands (used) MOdulus, and the high end stuff as well: Warrior, Ken Smith, etc.
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I contacted Randy (Bass Atlanta) on a recent road trip (3-weeks ago) to Atlanta and he informed me that he didn't have much in stock right now. Bass Atlanta is basically Web based site with no store front. He did have his Dingwall (and maybe a few more basses; not sure) at Atlanta Bass Gallery. Jim Rubio is the owner and a great guy. You definitely need to check out his place. I played some great basses there for under $2K. The basses at Guitar Center (Clarimont Access Rd) were disapointing to say the least. IMO poorly setup and neglected basses. Still, probably your best bet for the price range you want to spend. If you find something there that you like, I'd definitely asked them to install a fresh set of strings and tweak the set-up prior to buying. Atlanta Discount didn't really have much of a selection of basses in stock. They've also moved from the Clarimont Rd. area and I believe are in the process of changing their name (you couldn't use a debit or credit card when I last visited; I suspect this is corrected by now).
    Didn't get over to Marrietta (Ken Stanton's) but they use to have a fair selection of Warwick, Spector (imports), and Peavy. Not really my cup of tea.
    The Guitar Centers are probably your best bet.
  7. I usually go to guitar center off I-85. There's a fair amount of choice and most of it's in your price range.
  8. You might also try Galaxy Music out in Stone Mountain. They usually have 15-20 quality used basses - Pedulla, Alembic, Fender, Tobias, Roscoe, Warwick. And about that many medium to low end basses. Tons of stuff here and the prices are right.
  9. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    The Atlanta Bass Gallery is a must stop. Jim is building up a great selection of basses and he has a combination of entry level to high end stuff.
  10. Actually, I think you are confusing us with Atlanta Bass Gallery and Jim Rubio.

We only carry the high-end lines: Dingwall, Mike Lull, F-Bass and Benavente. Jim has KSD, Ken Smith, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Zon, and some left-over Warriors.

In your price range, perhaps a KSD from Jim, which are nice, or Guitar Center. I just picked up a used Reverend Rumblefish at the GC on 41 @ Windy Hill. They also have a brand new Fender Marcus Miller 4-string.......at least they'll have it as of today (8-1-04) when I return it. ;) I bought it a few weeks ago, but will be returning it. It plays and sounds great, but I've been playing Volume-Blend basses for so long that it feels really odd to have a Vol-Vol Fender again. But it's a slappin' machine, and versatile enough to acheive most any tone that you want. And, of course it's brand new w/out a scratch.

The only Lakland dealer in Atlanta (at least right now) is Earthshaking Music at I-20 and Moreland. I was there a couple of weeks ago and they have some cool Skylines. They had a Lake Placid Blue Darryl Jones which rocked. All of those would be in your price range.

Good luck.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Defintley check out Randy's place while down there. He's a great guy to deal with!
  12. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    the bass gallery is awesome!!!
  13. JoobyFoo

Jul 11, 2004
    Athens, Georgia
    Ken Stanton music is a nice place. But, I highly recommend going to the Guitar Center off of the N.Druid Hills exit. It's on a little access road next to I-85 that will take you straight back to I-85N when you leave.