Where to go from here with my project P...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfunk47, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Make this body work!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Screw that body, it's a piece of junk!

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Bacon/Carrots/Bac-carrots...?

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I decided awhile back that I wanted a good old fashioned P, but with my own little refinements. I ended up ordering a Warmoth neck (I wanted 21 frets) and found a nice looking old Electra P copy from the 60's/70's. Nice light relic thing going on, lightweight, etc.

Well, as I discovered today, the Electra wasn't exactly what I had thought. I knew the neck pocket wasn't standard (closer to a 51 P bass) but I figured I could do a bit of custom fitting for the neck. Next, I found out that the bridge isn't a standard size (it was like 1/2" thinner from side to side than a stock Fender bridge :confused:), so I'd have to plug and redrill those holes too.

The PG turned out not to be of standard size either, so I'd have to get one custom made...sigh...this is starting to seem like a bigger project than I had intended...

And THEN, I find out that the whole body is plywood. Both strap button holes are grossly stripped, so I'd be having to fill and redrill those too.

Which leads me to my question...Do any of you think this body is worth my time? I'm sure I could make it work, but it'd take a LOT of TLC. I'm pretty short on cash at this point, so it'd take quite a bit longer if I was having to buy a whole new body. But would it be worth it over the one I have now?

2. Personally, I think I'd set that body aside and maybe search eBay for a MIM P body.....They're pretty common for less than $100.

3. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    +1

it aint worth the money and effort that you would have to put into it. i agree, just go to eBay and get a MIM body.

4. king_xanadu

king_xanadu Guest

Jul 18, 2008
    League City, TX
    +1

5. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've had some fun with ply body basses. I'd save the warmoth neck for another project, and pickup an SX neck with which to finish this project. It'd be a good chance to work on your modding skills. It wouldn't be too expensive to work up a functional bass.

-Sheet of BWB Pickguard material: $11 bucks http://www.grizzly.com/products/Pick-Guard-Blank-3-Ply-Black-White-Black/H6385

-Basic Fender style bridges can be found on TB classifieds for around 10 bucks

-SX necks go from 50-70 bucks

Regardless of what you decide, I wouldn't use the Warmoth neck on this project.

6. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    I've bought Eden parts off of eBay. I got a body (ALDER) and a neck (ALL MAPLE). I've been happy with both of them.