Where to go from here...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Over the last while, I've been buying album after album after album, and I'm not really sure where to go next. As far as it stands, I have releases from the following major musicians:

Charles Mingus (The Very Best Of, Mingus Ah Um)
    Weather Report (Heavy Weather, 8:30)
    Pat Metheny (Bright Size Life, The Way Up, One Quiet Night)
    Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, Miles Davis Quintet 1965-1968, Sketches of Spain)
    The Quintet (Jazz at Massey Hall)
    Charlie Parker (20th Century Masters)
    Bill Evans (Sunday at the Village Vanguard)
    Thelonius Monk (Greatest Hits)
    Oscar Peterson (Night Train, Life at the Blue Note Box Set, A Night In Vienna)
    Nat King Cole (Greatest Hits)
    Keith Jarret (Up For It w/ Peacock and Dejohnette)
    John Coltrane (The Very Best Of)
    Dave Holland Quintet (Not for Nothing)

I have a lot more CDs, but they fall more in the vein of lesser-knowns like Greg Runions, Gordon Webster, the Laila Biali Trio, etc. -- that's not to disparage their contributions to music, because I dig their stuff and listen to it just as much as my Miles and Monk, but I'm talking stuff everyone should have some common ground on.

So, my question is -- where do I go from here? Should I start to delve deeper into specific artists, like pick up Waltz for Debby or Mingusx5? Should I look into electric Miles, avant-garde Coltrane, Parker with strings, etc.? Should I explore other veins of jazz, like latin or bossa stuff? More vocalists? I also have releases from Krall and Jane Monheit that I didn't mention because the jazz on these albums is definitely in the minority.

Modern jazz, maybe? I don't know what classifies something as "modern" jazz, but I've noticed a certain unifying sound amongst a lot of more modern stuff, somewhat in the music and somewhat more in the tones and production techniques, especially in ECM releases. Of course, I haven't heard any Wayne Shorter or Herbie Hancock that was released since the 70's.
    Completely unfamiliar with Chick Corea*'s music...maybe I should delve more into specific bassists instead, though? I'm loving what I'm hearing from Ron Carter on the recently-purchased Miles Davis Quintet 1965-1968 CD, especially the tune "Eighty-One." I've only got one record with NHOP on it, and he's making up for Oscar's total lack of a left hand post-stroke. More Dave Holland, to kill two birds (bass players and modern jazz) with one stone?
    Maybe I should look more into drummers. I've been going through all of my records for the last couple weeks looking at how musicians play with time -- ahead, behind the beat, certain rhythmic patterns, etc., especially in the way drummers do it (another reason the new Miles CD for me is a such a thrill -- Tony Williams, WOW!)

Maybe I should cool it on buying new CDs and just transcribe hell out of what I have.

* Neat note. I was reading in an interview with Chick about quatral harmony, but he didn't get into any detail at all with it. I was discussing it tonight with a guitarist friend of mine over MSN Messenger and we were trading back piano/guitar voicings of chords using quatral harmony, and I found a nice one -- C9sus, and he found that if you resolved the 4th to a 3rd with a bossa feel, it's classic bossa piano playing. At the time of this discussion, I was listening to Eighty-One, and I realized that's what Herbie was doing! I checked the charts in the New Real Book not long after and confirmed that it's a blues based entirely off of Bb9sus, F9sus, and C9sus :D.
  2. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Thats a difficult question, as you have to follow your ears and taste, but some true greats you haven't mention and ought to hear would include:
    Lester Young
    Coleman Hawkins
    Duke Ellington
    Louis Armstrong
    Billie Holiday
    Bud Powell's solo stuff
    Lee Konitz
    Lennie Tristiano
    Ornette Coleman
    Eric Dolphy
    Jim Hall
    Kenny Wheeler
    Sonny Rollins
    Joe Lovano

that gives you a pretty broad selection from very early jazz to today, and in my humble opinion all great geniuses

if you want to hear modern bassists, theres loads of lists in different discussions on this site, but a few to start with could include Drew Gress, Scott Coley, Peter Washington, George Mraz, Chris Laurence, Marc Johnson...
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Here are a few suggestions:

Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Collossus (1956) and Live at the Vanguard (1955)
    John Coltrane, Blue Train (1957) and A Love Supreme (1964)
    Rave Coltrane, In Flux (2005)
    Chick Corea, Now He Sings Now He Sobs w/ Miroslav Vitous (1967), Light As A Feather w/ Stanley Clarke (1973), Three Quartets w/ Eddie Gomez (1981), Akoustik Trio w/ John Patitucci (1989), Change w/ Avishai Cohen (1999)
    Chris Potter w/ Scott Colley, Gratitude (2001)
    Joe Henderson w/ Ron Carter, State of the Tenor (1985)
    Bob Brookmeyer w/ Michael Moore, Small Band a/k/a Live At Sandy's (1979)
    Michael Brecker no-bass organ trio, Time Is Of The Essence (1999)
    Wayne Shorter, Speak No Evil (1965)
    Dexter Gordon w/ Stafford James, Homecoming 1976

. . . and the other 25 items in my top ten . . .

. . . have fun . . .
  4. myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I would die without these great artist...

Lou Donaldson
    Grant Green
    Stan Getz playing Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Dave Brubeck (Time Out)
    Donny Hathaway (Live)- bass player Willie Weeks is a god!!

I whole-heartedly agree with the previous posts. They've given you an impressive list, but... these guys are a little funkier and show a variation of traditional jazz theory used in different styles of music!
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say there's a lot more Miles and Coltrane to discover - In a Silent Way and Giant Steps for a start, apart from those Sam mentioned - plus a favourite period of mine is 60s Hard Bop (a lot although not all on Blue Note ) - Horace Silver Quintets, Lee Morgan Cannonball Adderley, Joe Henderson, Blue Mitchell..etc.
  6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    For modern check out Vijay Iyer. Not necessarily bebop based but definitley a creative and unique voice.
  7. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York

What about...

Miles -
    Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Someday My Prince Will Come
    'Round About Midnight

Oscar Pettiford - Another One

Anything Art Blakey and the Jazz Messingers

Bill Evans Trio -
    Waltz for Debby is great, and also Portrait in Jazz

No Ray Brown Trio!?

Red Garland Trio -
    Bright and Breezy
    A Garland of Red

Brad Mehldau Trio - Art of the Trio series

Roy Haynes - Birds of a Feather (w/Dave Holland)