Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to go in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pcollin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I'm actually helping a friend and playing bass in a "corporate band" this weekend. The gig is a National Sales meeting in Atlanta. Since the rest of the band works for the same company, they'll be hanging out with co-workers etc. I've never been to Atlanta and since I'll have a little time of my own does anybody know of some good clubs/bars to check out? Any good guitar stores (other than GC please). Thanks!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You should definitely check out the Atlanta Bass Gallery.

www.atlantabassgallery.com

Right next door (upstairs, actually) is a great club called Smith's Old Bar, too.

And, the Atlanta Guitar Center is actually one of the better ones that I've been in, too.

If you're free, you might want to check out the new Georgia Aquarium while you're here.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

3. don't forget to go to little five points http://www.l5p.com.

if you're into piercing at all, piercing experience is the best place i've ever been. i can't imagine trusting my body parts to anyone else.

they turned me onto a really incredible sushi place called soto. it's in buckhead. it's pretty expensive, but well worth it. don't go ravenous -- it takes a very long time for everything. soto-san is very meticulous.

people may tell you to go to the underground (mall) downtown, but avoid it. it's not even worth another thought. i missed out on seeing the dollsquad burlesque review because everyone recommended the underground.

spend some time downtown if you have the time. it's a nice place.

i miss atlanta. i wish it were as cheap and easy to go back.

robb.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If John Turner checks in here, he and I used to go to a GREAT sushi restraunt near Buckhead. Right across from Keith Sweat's club. John, what was that place called?

5. Ask j-raj. He knows all the spots!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Marietta Diner is where you want to go for some food. JT and his wife took me there for dinner. Open 24 hours, the food is wonderful, the service is great, and they serve EV-REE-THING, even sushi. :D

-Mike

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that was nakato. good stuff, but a little pricey. there's a place right by the atlanta bass gallery called rusan that is also very good and less expensive.

8. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    some of the best restaurants in town are in sandy springs, which is where i live.

buckhead is the bar district. about 500 bars in a small area. also check out SMITHS OLD BAR. it is at the intersection of piedmont and monroe. great food and good bands play there. actually it is right next door to the ATLANTA BASS GALLERY.

9. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Actually, there are three in the area. Marietta (on Cobb Pkwy near Windy Hill Road), Lawrenceville, and ATL. Lawrenceville rarely has decent bass stuff, though. :p

10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    The Atlanta GC (on the I-85 access road just north of N. Druid Hills Road) has a pretty good bass selection and is worth checking out. There are a ton of great restaurants in Atlanta. I moved away two years ago, and I miss the food more than anything.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was there in March '05 for a Cisco class. I miss the people. If I were to ever move away from where I live now, Atlanta would be second on my list of where to move to.

-Mike

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That's it, thanks.

Come to think of it, the four of us did some pretty good eating when I lived there, didn't we? :) I miss that place...:bawl:

13. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I went to Atlanta about a month ago. Can't chime in about any clubs/bars but I'll agree with everyone about Atlanta Bass Gallery and the Atlanta GC. I was really surprised with GC, they had a good selection of stuff, even if the place was packed. ABG is a must.

Don't forget Atlanta Discount Music. They had some pretty cool stuff when I was there and a bunch of Bergantino cabs. :cool:

14. A-TOWN DOWN FO LYFE!! [/gangsta]
    There's some great food in Buckhead, and really all over ATL. How long are you going to be down here for? Atlanta has some great diners if you're looking for a cheap dinner at 2a.m., but if you're in the mood for something nicer, more filling, and more expensive, you should check out one of the Brazillian meat restaurants. Can't remember the names, but there's one on Peachtree, and another on Piedmont. They're about a mile apart up in Buckhead.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  16. Thanks J-Raj, that's the place I was thinking of.