1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where To Go Next With Rush?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, May 5, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I know there are plenty of Rush fans here on TB, and I've become one of them. I can't seem to get enough Rush.

So far I own:

• Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Exit... Stage Left
    • Rush In Rio (DVD)
    • R30 (Box Set)

Despite my tight budget, I need more Rush! So I'll be purchasing one more (or maybe two) album(s) for now. I'm deciding between:

1. Caress Of Steel
    2. Hemispheres
    3. A Farewell To Kings
    4. Signals

I love epic songs like '2112', which is what draws me to option number one. But songs like 'Xanadu', 'La Villa Strangiato', and 'Subdivisions' are also awesome.

Could some Rush fans review these albums for me?

Thanks,
    Graeme

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I'd go with Signals, but I'd also try some of the 80's albums like Power Windows to hear the Wal bass in all it's glory.

3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Dude, you're not a Rush fan until you have Hemispheres. :D

4. I've found that when I have Hemispheres on I can't do anything else, it's so amazing. Deserves total attention.

5. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    and A Farewell To Kings.:)

I also feel that once you own Caress of Steel, you have officially become a complete fanatic.

6. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    +1 :D

This album is one of the best, a Master Piece !
    Can't go wrong with Hemispheres ;)

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hemispheres is a must. Scary good music. Then go Farewell to Kings, and then Signals. COS is the least important in my book.

8. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA
    Do it all! Hold the Red Star Proudly High In Hand! :bassist: :D

9. +a zillion to Hemispheres. Don't wait, get it NOW.

Then, I'd say, Power Windows, IMO. Eventually you want 'em all, though......;)

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I vote for Signals and Hemispheres. They are two of my favorites, along with Grace Under Pressure.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I find it interesting how varied Rush fans are in terms of their favourite albums. Many would say they can't stand Rush's late eighties work, while some people find it to be the best music they've made. It's very different from a band like, for example Metallica, where 99% of the fans believe that their best work was in the first four albums. Just a thought...

Graeme

12. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The playing, songs, and tones on Signals are awsome. Digital Man anyone?

13. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Hemispheres.Then Signals ! Winds me up everytime I hear it:bassist:

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Get Hemispheres - RIGHT NOW. and hey, if you like the early stuff, you should definitely get Fly By Night too!

15. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I've seen a lot of the same thing. Unfortunately,a lot of folks will knock an album because it doesn't sound like "their favorite".I see that alot with prog fans,young ones especially.I prefer to take every recording on it's own merits,and not comapare it to previous works.You either like it,or you don't. I personally like everything Rush has done.Especially the 2112 through Signals era.If you play synth and bass,like me,the Grace Under Pressure to Test for Echo will appeal to you too.There is a ton of material out there from these guys, take 'em all,and enjoy them.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    get Hold Your Fire and Power Windows. Not only was Geddy's bass tone at it's absolute best (and so was his voice), but they have never made better music. I feel that the music on those records trancends description, such is it's beauty and power.

17. A farewell to kings and Hemispheres are the only ones I still listen to.

18. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Hemishperes and Kings are absolute must own.

19. I agree with everyone else about Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings, but in my book, Caress Of Steel is highly underrated. You can tell they were still searching for what they eventually found on 2112, but COS has some amazing music on it. The breakdown in "The Necromancer" is still one of my favorite Rush grooves.

20. Correct. Caress of Steel is far better than it's reputation suggests. The Fountain of Lamneth is an amazing track, even I Think I'm Going Bald has it's own goofy appeal.
    But from the original list, get A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, which continues directly on from AFTK but can still be listened to on it's own merits. Incredible Rick growl throughout, really unbelievable tone.