1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to ground bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GretschWretch, Feb 6, 2016.

1. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Is it better to ground the bridge wire to the output jack or to the tone pot? I've seen it done both ways, and with some basses have found no ground at all (which is a real head-scratcher for me).

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Output jack, soldering to the pot can cook the pot. They both function equally as well though.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. It makes no difference. Do it whichever way is more convenient.

wcriley likes this.
  4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Electrically makes no difference but there is less chance of overheating a Jack than the pot. I have done it both ways

Will_White likes this.
  5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    All of your grounds should be electrically connected (they are all the same), if they are it won't matter the location, as long as it's part of the ground circuit...wherever is easier.

6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Thanks for the replies. Looks Like the jack ground wins.