Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to keep my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tallbagpiper, Mar 11, 2003.

1. I keep my bass in it's bag now, in a closet. I was wondering if anyone knew of a reason why I couldn't leave it uncovered on/in a stand in a corner of my living room?

It is beautiful to look at, and I might be tempted to play for a few minutes several times between practices.

There are many windows in the room, and the nearest heat vent is about 7 feet away.

Thanks for your help!
    I'm in Rochester, NY where we have real winters and summers, if that makes a difference.

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I keep mine on a stand next to the piano, not too near the radiator. Its fine, however I am in Portland Oregon where the winters aren't nearly as dry as yours (I am originally from Buffalo, so believe me, I know). Lots of people on this board swear by humidifiers, you might want to do a search on the topic....

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Stands are notoriously unstable, and basses can be knocked over easily. That being said, I use a Meisel stand in my music room, which my wife and foster kid know is to remain shut and off limits to all animals under penalty of death.

On its side is safest, but takes up a lot of room. Also, you can damage the edges on carpet.

I like putting it in a corner, but the walls in my house were rough finished.

Monte

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have always kept mine propped up in a corner somewhere. You could strap the neck to a hook in the wall or something for extra safety.

With some distance from heat sources and out of direct sunlight it should be OK. Keep an eye on the humidity.

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Seeing how you're in Rochester and renting a Shen bass, you must be renting from my boss Paul Strelau, or possibly from Mike Griffin. So I'll assume you have a plywood Shen, which is going to be much less sensitive to climate and such as compared to a carved bass. To varify the model, look thru the f-hole at the label, it should read "Shen SB100". The most important thing is to watch your humidity, especially during this Winter, which may or may not ever end.;)

We warehouse on average 15 to 30 of that model at any time, and we have as much trouble maintaining humidity as anyone around here. During this particularly long and dry Winter, we've had our share of instruments pop open, but I don't believe a single plywood has popped. Formed plywood is pretty stable, and tends not to move too much with the weather. If you can keep your humidity above 25 or 30% in the house, that bass will be fine. If something goes wrong, you know where to find us. :) If you don't have a hydrometer in the house, stop by the shop & I'll give you a basic one no charge, though the digital models at Radio Shack are our preference.

That finish, which is a lacquer, will hold up fine sitting out & looking good in your living room.

6. Thank you!

It is your bass (not for long)
    :D

I have a central humidifier, so that wont be a problem. Any stand in particular that you recommend?

And it will be in a corner.

7. I believe it is carved if I remember right. Sells for abour $2100.

8. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It sounds like a Hybrid, meaning plywood back & ribs with a carved top. We've had good luck with Miesel's stand, and another one called an Ingles that we buy from International Violin. Both have done well at trade shows, where people are bumping into them constantly. I haven't lost a bass yet on either stand (*crosses fingers*).

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I struggled with the whole "Where to keep the bass" issue for a while before settling on the corner. If you drive a large hook into the corner at about the level of the heel (with endpin extended), you can then run a bungee cord around the neck, under the fingerboard, and attach both ends to the hook. This has kept my bass safe from all accidents (including 3 very nosy cats) for the past year or so.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I find it interesting that so many people have issues with their basses getting knocked over. I have one of those cheapo metal stands and its always fine (although I wouldn't put it on that thing during a gig). I have two very bad cats, and if I leave it on its side in the case, they inevitably knock it over onto the bridge, but they've never touched it on the stands. Whatever works...

11. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I keep my carved Gliga on its side, in the music room, where I have tons of room. I used to use my Meisel stand, but I have to retract the pin to do that which kind of nullifies the grab-and-play aspect. So I gave the stand to my nephew, and he keeps his 1/4 size bass in the living room where he can practive whenever the mood strikes.

12. littlebill

littlebill

Oct 18, 2002
    Apopka, Fla
    I put in a solid ceiling hook, tied a noose just high enough that I lift the bass a couple of inches to fit the noose in the notch behind the scroll (is there a name for that) with the endpin at my length. Takes a couple of tries to get it right but the bass is always standing there ready to walk up and play, especially if not in a corner. Be sure of a good solid hook and noose that will not slip.

13. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Ingles stand has adjustable lower supports, so you can set it on the stand with the pin out. Pretty handy stand I must say. I believe their website is www.inglesproducts.com if you want to have a look.

The only thing I dislike about it is that there is a rubber pad contacting the back between the C's. It hasn't caused any harm yet, but I'm not a fan of anything contacting the finish as a rule.