1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to live in Nashville?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arnold, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

So, I'm thinking of buying a house and relocating to Nashville. I'd like to live in a nice area for the girlfriend and possible kids, I assume everyone drives to gigs so there is no "central" place to live, so what are some reasonable middle class neighborhoods and how far away or close should I be trying to move?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Peace.
    ASG

2. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Bump for me....

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    It probably depends on how much you want to spend on the house. Coming from NYC, if you sold a house there, you'll probably have a pretty good chunk of cash to put toward a new place.

A lot of musicians live South of town in Franklin, TN. Some beautiful homes down there, but on the pricey side. I can't help you too much because I'm over in Memphis. But that might be a place to start. Check out one of the major Real Estate company websites (ReMax; Century 21; etc.) for places in Franklin, TN.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Arnold, you should e-mail Jim Ferguson. He's a bassist and a real nice cat who's been in Nashville for a long time, he'd be able to hip you to both the music and the real estate scene...

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    BigMikeW recently relocated there from LA. You may want to PM him to hear about his experience.

6. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the answers so far. I have a few friends there and when I posted this I was packing in my mind to make the move. I'm kind of stepping back and thinking right now. Anybody know anything about East Nashville?
    Thanks.
    Arnold

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's more intellectual and faster paced than West Nashville?

8. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    east nashville is kind of in the building process. some great areas, but also, some not so great areas. East Nashville seems to attract the majority of musicians, hip and trendy's, and all around "cool" crowd. it's a great vibe. West Nashville (hillsboro village) kind of the same way. Walking distance from Vandy and Belmont. 5 minutes to downtown. (where I currently live). Farther west is Green Hills and West End. Lots of soccer moms in oversized suvs. Very pricey area. North Nashville (hendersonville/gallatin area) is affordable. Little farther out. Pretty suburb area if that's what you're looking for. Brentwood and Franklin are south (about 25 minutes from downtown Nashville). Suburb areas. Great place for kids. Little pricey, but not too bad (or as bad as Green Hills). Sylvan Park (20 Minute from downtown) lots of older houses with charecter. My wife loves that area. Pretty affordable, pretty good location. Farther out is Smyrna, Mufreesboro, Spring Hill, Mt. Juliet, and Lebanon. All more suburb areas. The farther out the more affordable. Lived in Spring Hill for 2 years. Great area, lots of young families and Newlyweds cause it's cheaper than Franklin. About 45 minutes from Downton. Traffic is still a mess in the mornings coming in, but it's supposed to be getting better. Hope that helps.

9. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I live in Franklin about 20 minutes from downtown nashville. couldn't ask to live in a nicer area. strongly recommend the franklin/brentwood TN area.