Where to look at/price MEC's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Dec 17, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i Love the mec active pickups in warwicks.... i was thinking of maybe buying some in the DISTANT future as replacements.... problem is i can't find anywhere on the net to price or even look at them,..... Please help if you know a site where i can... email me at fuel1113@hotmail.com ...THANKS !!!! later, Evan
  2. Are you on glue? ;) I have owned three Warwick basses and I can asure you that the MEC systems on all of them truly bit. My Streamer electronics just stopped working all together (in the middle of a set no less..) and the other preamps just have this weak, anemic sound. Do a search of the talkbass archive and you will find many similar experiances. I replaced mine with Alembic stuff and my basses opened up with a very natural, huge tone. MEC? Eeewww....!
  3. To correctly answer you question:

Warwick products are distributed in the USA by
    Dana B. Goods and you can buy BEC & MEC
    Pick-ups and preamps.

BEC 1 Preamp (list) $76.70
    2 band EQ for active or passive pickups.

BEC 2 Preamp (list) $130
    3 band EQ for active or passive basses

MEC Gold Active J (list) $84
    A high output pickup. Specify long or short.

MEC Gold Active P (list) $101
    "tons 'o headroom.

and my personal favorite....

MEC Gold Dual (list $166)
    Same as two J-style pickups, with separate wiring, and switching possibilities. Dual preamp system also available.

Single, Stacked, and Stacked Pots with push/pull on/off switchs also available.

Dana B. Goods
    (805) 644-6621
    Ask for Dale Titus.
  4. As much as you two may have a soft spot for that "MEC sound", a search of the talkbass site will show that my experiances are not isolated. Sound aside, their peformance record is shoddy at best. I own three Warwicks and TWO of the BEC preamps just up and died. That is a 66% failure rate in my world. A freind replaced his MEC system in his Corvette with Barts. The sound opened up with a full, robust midrange and large blossoming bottom end as a result. His bass was very hollow and weak previously. Both my Streamer and Dolphin5 have benefited greatly from an upgrade....
    Some of that MEC stuff may look cool but in my experiance their products are seriously unreliable...sorry!
  5. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thanks to both of you.... i appreciate your posting... later, Evan
  6. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey Nirvanafan,

I would sell you my MEC electronics!

theres a 2 band preamp and two 5 string active J humbucking pups.

maybe that way I'll have money for some replacement electronics for my 'Wick :D

Mad Sub, what Barts did your friend put there(model)?
  7. Umm...the skinny P-2 humbuckers I think? 5 string model w/ splittable coils......
  8. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    do you know if he put these because he couldnt find 5 string Js to fit the original routing?
  9. No, he stuck them in because his original MEC 2xJ pu setup sounded godawful, truly. Hollow, thin...weak, etc. The Barts had been in another bass previous and sounded fabulous so he did the swap. A bit of carving was involved but the work was done beautifully. his bass now sounds warm and full with a great, robust midrange; very tasty.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    does a warwick with bart preamp + pickups still sound like a warwick?

cos i dunno man...my SSII sounds incredible right now, so i don't know how much better it would get....

would it?

11. Lotsa Warwicks come w/ Barts as standard...at least they used to! My Alembic system sounds fan-bloody-tastic in both my Warwick guitars...very natural w/ a minimum of coloration.