where to NOT be a pirate

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 13, 2004.

1. 'Pirates' may lose some loot
    Wednesday, May 12, 2004
    By John Agar
    The Grand Rapids Press
    The band of "pirates" who crashed last week's Kinderparade weren't such merry marauders today.

Holland police cited 19 teen-agers -- members of the so-called "American Pirate Association" -- for illegally entering a parade, a civil infraction that carries a $100 fine.

The teens had planned the prank for weeks. They slipped into Thursday's Tulip Time kids parade behind the only float -- a sailboat. As some in the crowd laughed, police soon realized that the teen-agers were not supposed to be in the parade.

Most of the teen-agers, all West Ottawa High School students, scattered. Ringleader Jonathan Fegel, 17, said he "was going down with the ship," and was held by police. He and another student were detained briefly.

"Obviously, the kids didn't have a permit," his mother, Mary Kay Fegel said. "They had no malicious intent. It was just for fun."

Her son and another student were suspended for one day at school because they allegedly posted fliers at school about the illegal entry. The others were rounded up later, and all face fines if they admit responsibility.

Mary Kay Fegel said her son, who has a band, is very creative. Growing up, he liked to do impersonations, and funny voices. She said he would make a great improvisational actor.

"He's just always been on stage."

She said her son planned to write letters of apology to parade organizers. Since the parade, she said, she has heard mostly positive comments, . with some saying the prank livened up the parade. She just wanted people to know that those involved are good kids and leaders at school.

"They're not terrible kids," she said. "They're good kids. (Her son) doesn't get in trouble. He's just very creative. He kind of thinks outside the box."

While police acknowledge the teen-agers had no bad intent, Chief John Kruithoff said the pirates could not be ignored.

If police didn't respond, there would be a "competition next year for others" who would try to be even more creative in crashing the parade, Kruithoff said.

His other concern was that party crashers, as they ran from police, jumped over spectators who lined the parade route. It was the only way out, with police at the intersections.

While no injuries were reported, Kruithoff said children could have easily been hurt.

"The whole issue of safety is a concern to me. I watched. They jumped over people who were sitting there watching."

He said the pirates meant no harm.

"But we are not going to tolerate anyone who doesn't belong in the parade," Kruithoff said. "They're going to get cited. The kids we had here were very cooperative. They aren't bad kids. We're just not going to allow it to happen."
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

It's ALWAYS good to be a pirate. Sticking it to the man, old school style. Pirates are the original punks.
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    There is no occasion on which it is not appropriate to be a pirate. Arrrr.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The parrots got what they deserved.

This thread might also be appropriate to publicise this.
  6. BobRoss

May 10, 2004
    Oh god, there is an actual website? I just thought it was a joke when I saw their signs by the side of the road.
  7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's deadly serious, Lubber.
  8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

What is the world coming too?!

Our children are becoming buccanneers and scurvy dogs! What next? Ninjas and ronin's? Is no Kinderparade safe?

This reminds of something Tom Sawyer would pull.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Except for of course, the ones that were contracted to take out military targets.(gold ships and such)

side note, the Computer game Pirates! gold is a really fun game
  10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    They would be privateers not pirates ;)

I've been playing Age of Sail II and it's a hoot.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They were still sticking it to the man. They also just got paid by a different man.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

The gentleman's pirate.
  13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I hope nobody takes that sentence out of context.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You want dibs on taking out of context?
  16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I shall add it to your file for future out-of-contexting.
  17. A pirates life is a life for me.

*puts parrot on shoulder*

18. So wait...

"Holland" police arrest a group with the name "american" in it and occurs "ottawa" and this is a "grand rapids" pressing.

19. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been to Holland Mich. once. I was there on a business/training trip. You can't pick a Tulip there. We were warned not to pick the Tulips. If you pick a Tulip you will go to jail overnight.

For the love of God, please don't pick the Tulips.
  20. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Me confused too. I live in Ottawa near a street called Holland. I'm not american but I have a grand rapid in my back yard.

This post reminded me of the classic parade scene in "Animal House" with John Belushi dressed as the pirate.