Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to now?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by outofstep, Jan 7, 2002.

1. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    Hey guys... I've been playing bass for a little less than a year.. I'm pretty musically inclined and I've been able to teach myself everything so far... I know the basic theory behind everything and have really good technique... I practice scales, arpeggio's, modes, hand exercises all the time.. my question is... where do I go to get to the next level...?

I play primarily rock/punk, and don't really want to or have a need to learn any slap or tapping...

any books, cdrom's, or websites to help me?

I say my biggest weaknesses are: keeping good solid time and creating bass lines that follow music theory (I try to write everything down so I fill each measure)....

thanks. -matt

2. Well, there is the obvious, play with a drummer LOTS. Or more important, a drummer that can keep time.

Play with others, and keep time for them.

But most important, take ALOT of metronome practice. Solid rythem isn't something mathetmatical that can be learned by a metronome, rythem is a feeling, you either got it or not ;) Almost everyone has a LITTLE at least tho. Metronome is crucial in perfecting that timing you have.

While you play stand up and dance with the beat you are throwing down. Not really dance, but sway. Tap your foot, blink, sing, whatever it takes, but make sure you have that rythem.

Now for basslines that follow music theory, that part is simple (well, in a weird sense, simple for simple basslines, but people spend a lifetime learning how to write perfect beautiful basslines, so its one of those things u gotta work on...heh) but try to follow the SCALES or ARPEGGIOS that you've been playing.

Follow the chord pattern, and to start off with, practice quarter note walking bassline drills.

Just throw a bassline over a simple chord structure like C D E F. Thats built off the major scale, so in the basslines, throw a major scale walk over that.

Two easy "formulas" for major scales is 1-3-4-5 and 8-7-6-5 (well, not sure on the last one.)

I'd check with one of the more experienced TB'rs here, but i wanted to get to ya first.

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    what he said, just with "rythem" spelt "rythm"

;) :rolleyes: ;)

sorry spammy, im a nitpicker!

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Me too...try, "rhythm".

OUTERLIMITS,

One word: Teacher?

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    One word....TYPO

please, please believe me....pleeeeease.
    *sniff* ;);)

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Might wanna check into a metronome

7. Well.....um......

SHUTUP!

hehehehe

Yea teacher would work better, but im assuming he doesn't have one.

Get a teacher, they'll explain to you everything I said, and proably teach you something better.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another excellent way to reach the next level would be to break out of the punk/rock envelope you are sealed in and try any other style of music from blues to country to funk to reggae to hip hop to nu-metal or whatever suits your fancy.

Also, I like the idea suggested above to get a teacher. A teacher can both watch and listen to your playing. You may have developed habits that are hiding you back form the next level. A teacher can spot themand show you how to correct them.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

BUMPTHUMPSQUEAK,

Sorry, you know I couldn't pass that one up! :)

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    FISHCALLEDHERRALD,

damn, and i thought my name was un-mockable!;)