1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to order guitar pickups?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike M., Jul 19, 2012.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    What's the best online source to order guitar pickups? I'm going to be redoing my Fender Strat and I've never ordered pickups online before. Looking for a reliable place that has good availability.

Thanks.

2. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    If you are looking for boutique type pickups check out Jason Lollar pickups. All of his stuff is very good, especially the fender types.

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Head over to www.tdpri.com. They've got quite a few advertisers doing pickups, and tons of very experienced people. There's also 5 of us who are inexperienced and incompetent... .oops... I just outed myself didn't I? ;) They've got a whole forum dedicated to pickup discussion. The site is originally a Telecaster site, but there's lots of strat info too. I'd say be prepared to clearly describe what kind of tone you want, with examples from recordings.

Good luck!

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Last couple of time I ordered Pups I ordered them on the GC website. But I bought Duncans which are easy to come by. Had them ship to the store down the street from my office for pick up. Most boutique pup makers sell on their own sites.

5. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Thanks guys! After checking out various clips I'm going with DiMarzio's. I bought (at local stores) thier pickups in the past and am very impressed by them. Got thier Area T's in my Tele, I love them and no hum! Got Air Classics in my LP and I love those as well.

For the Strat I'm going the try the Virtual Vintage Noiseless pickups: the '54 Pro for the bridge, the Area '67 for the middle and the Area '58 for the neck.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Check out Klein pickups. My buddy has a set of Klein S5's in his Strat, they sound absolutely fantastic.

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Never heard of them. Are they noiseless?

8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    No not noiseless, but they sound outstanding.

The S-5s are very similar to the big dipper pickups that come in the John Mayer Strat. They have other flavors as well.

Here is a video of a couple sets of their pickups

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Thanks! I'm at work right now until 6:00 AM, but I'll check them out and give a listen when I get home.

Until then....if the Klein's aren't noiseless, do they let off with much hum? Reason I'm asking is because I can't deal with the hum and as far as I'm concerned there's no need to, especially these days. When I first bought my Tele ( used) the pickups (SD Quarter Pounder's) were too thin on the high end and hummed bad. Did a pickup swap (Lindy Fralin Blues Specials) and it was no better. In fact, they were worse. The Area T's were my last hope and they turned out to be the winning ticket. They added that bit of beef on the high end that was sorely lacking and they are DEAD quiet. Still sounds like a Tele but with that tad of muscle on the high end that I like.

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Single coils are going to have a 60 cycle hum with any pickups soloed. Noiseless pickups are a trade off, they loose some of their output and sparkle.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Man it's hard to beat DiMarzio's Area or VV pickps for strats. I had some in a Zion guitar and they are just killer.

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm on lunch break right now and am listening to the You Tube clip you provided listening to the '69's vs the S5's. Wow....tough call because while they both sound great I think I prefer the S5's. That's my initial impression. I'm going to have to really give the various clips some heavy listening.

You know, while it's great to have choice it can be a bit much these days when comparing pickups.

Really, thanks again for your help. Back to work!

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Like I said, I'm nothing but impressed with thier humbuckers and the Area T's. Each to thier own but they've done me good!