1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to pick up a dolphin gray aerodyne jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sloan11, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Sloan11

Sloan11

Jul 11, 2016
    The Japanese aerodyne j bass with p in the neck. Anybody seen any available right now or know where to get one (outside of ordering one from japan)?

2. LoTone

LoTone A bass for all occasions... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Tokyo? Yokohama? Osaka? Nagoya? Sapporo? :cool:

Oups! Did you mean States side?

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If you are interested in building up a parts bass, I have an unloaded body that I could let go

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You'd have to luck into one already brought over from Japan. It's rare, but it's happened before. I almost bought one I spotted on Guitar Center's used database. Outside a bit of good fortune, I'd say your best bet is to get a used model from Ishibashi's U-BOX database. I bought a bass from them a couple of years ago and it was a great shopping experience.

5. Sloan11

Sloan11

Jul 11, 2016
    oh cool, i've seen their listings on reverb for a few different products, wasn't sure about ever buying from them tho.

should I expect to get worked over by customs or importing fees though?

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The shipping from them to Delaware was an additional ¥14,000, which would come to about $125 today. But as high as that may seem, it was somewhat mitigated by two factors;
    1. Not having to pay the local Japanese taxes (there are two prices displayed on each Ishibashi U-BOX listing…people buying from outside Japan pay the lower, tax free price).
    2. I ended up getting a high-quality gig bag as an unexpected surprise, so that could be counted against the shipping fees.
    As far as customs fees go, I didn't get hit with any, but it might be different depending on where you live.

From what I've read, Ishibashi will put in for a CITES application for any instrument with a rosewood fretboard. That might incur an extra fee and there's no guarantee it will be accepted. But I suppose the worst they can do is say "No".

With all that in mind, let's assume I were to put in an inquiry about the one I linked to and it was still available. The bass + shipping would cost me around $500, plus whatever they add on for the CITES application. Given all that, I'd try to buy directly from them. It's possible you'd end up saving some money, but do your research to find the best deal.

7. 188D5793-3700-4FE7-A702-94C3BDEA6820. I know this is a few months old but just order one from ....

Crusher47 and Ghastly like this.