Where to play different basses?? GRRR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by szvonek, Sep 29, 2003.

1. I'm looking to move up to a nicer bass, and I have my eye on the Warwick Thumb neck-thru and maybe even the Streamer Stage II...BUT the thing is I'm looking through all the threads in the Bass forum, and everyone always says (and rightly so) to "make sure you try X bass, OH and you HAVE to try Y bass before you buy anything!". OK that's great but HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TRY THOSE OUT WHEN NO ONE AROUND HERE SELLS THEM!??

I don't want to make a huge purchase mistake with this kind of cash. The only thing I can think of without travelling hundreds of miles is waiting for a bass convention, but I never know when those are if they even happen around Columbus, OH...and for all I know the next one might be six months away AND I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG PEOPLE!!

Sorry to ramble, but I'm freaking out. Please help before I plunk down my 2G's. Sweet Lord help me.
  2. I should also just say that I'm freaking out because there seem to be so many choices in that price range, it's pretty daunting...you know?
  3. I have the same problem, living in St. Louis. Modulus, Warwick, Pedulla, and Peavey Cirrus are about the only high end brands that can be found around here.

Basicly, the only thing you can do is read everything you can and buy from someplace with a trial period.

There is a great wealth of information on places like www.bgra.net, www.harmony-central.com/Bass/#pro, as well as old threads on this site.
  4. I have a GC near my house. And I have my eye on either a thumb 4 or 5 NT. But I don't have 1500-2500 to drop on a bass now.

Maybe by christmas...:meh: :bassist:
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I hear ya buddy- it's a tough one. I couldn't find much of anything around here to try out. Took a few road trips to some of the big bass stores, coinciding with vacations. That's about the only way I got to try out anything other than Fender or Dean or Ibanez...

Even the GC/Mars-type stores never yielded anything useful, so I made sure to swing by Bass Central in FL. That was quite enlightening. Not sure what to tell you if there aren't any big shops near you. In some cases it just isn't possible to try before you buy.

Hope something works out for you.
  6. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    ditto what CJazz said, any reputable dealer has a 48 hr trial period so you can check it out, if you send it back you will lose the shipping to you and will have to pay for the shipping back to them. I am in the same situation excpet worse, I'm in a fairly small town and have have to travel over 2 hrs to get to a place that has some Warwick basses (their highest end bass they carry). I have purchased three Warwick basses, a Thumb 4 NT, Thumb 5 B.O. Custom Shop,Streamer Stage II 4, two Roscoe LG 3005's, and a F Bass Bn 5. The only one I was able to try out before I bought it was a Thumb 4 NT. All basses were bought on line through dealers that had a 48 hr trial but never had to use it on these basses because I liked them so much.

By the way, my opinion is to buy a nice used one because if you go to sell you will lose your shorts, I know as I am selling my Thumb NT 4 and will loose a great deal of money on it. It's not just Warwick basses either, it's pretty much on any high end bass you buy.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Do you live in Columbus? If so, the German Music Haus has a good selection of pretty good gear, and there's a store (Buddy Rodgers?) that carries some high end gear like Roscoes, although it's on the other side of the state. There's a custom bass builder named Bob Frenz who lives in Columbus that makes some awesome stuff, and the GCs near me have several Warwicks, Pedullas, and random other things. I tried to get a TB Ohio meeting going a while back, but we still haven't found a spot for sure. A luthier named Jon Hill here in Cleveland said he can host it for us, but he wants to wait for his shop to settle a bit first (they're making TONS of inventory at the moment). Also, there are several TBers in Columbus, and you may be able to hook up with them if you'd like to try out their gear. I can give you a list if you'd like.
  8. Thanks all. I'm really leary of the trial period thing though because of 1) paying shipping, and 2) I'm probably not disciplined enough to bother with shipping it back (even if it were free to ship)--I'd probably rationalize I like the bass and keep it. I mean at that price range all the basses are going to be pretty sweet really, so the trial period thing probably wouldn't be my best option I'm thinking.

And yeah I live in Columbus...I'll definitely check out the Music Haus, I've heard of it just never been. I've been to the GC on Morse, that's where I tried out the Thumb neck-thru 4/5 actually, I love 'em. I'm one of those people that falls in love at first sight, so I really want to discipline myself to try other basses out before just buying the Thumb.

And the dude at Fifth Ave. Fret Shop was saying I should buy used if I go for that Warwick to save money but also to get one that was built in Germany. But that sounds pretty tough too, I checked eBay and nothing right now.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We aussies have a similar problem. We only ever get to see a fraction of the bass brands you lucky americans seems to have access to.

Do whatever it takes but PLAY BEFORE YOUR BUY. I don't care how much trouble you have to go to. This is especially true of basses. They're personal. Amps are just an appliance in comparison.
  10. Great, all I needed--a huge guilt trip...dammit. Thanks Petebass...!

:eek: :bawl: :D
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You'll be thanking me later ;)
  12. Yeah, i know it's the right thing to do, I'm just such a big friggin' baby when it comes to this stuff.

Well, actually I might be going to NYC in November to visit a couple buddies; maybe I can hold out that long...I'm sure they've got one or two bass shops around that little town somewhere...
  13. Get the warwick thumb, neck through, Believe me, whatever bass those people say you HAVE to play, the thumb is 450 times better. and if it's not around where you live, forget about it.

definitely, warwick thumb, it will make you cry out of happiness of wonderfullness
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We could repeat this post over and over, but we won't. Sorry but I think the same about my Stingray. How would I know if it would suit szvonek? There's only one person who can judge that ind since he's the one forking out the cash, he has every right to judge for himself IMO.

Try before you buy, M'kay
  15. I took a trip from Ljubljana (SLO) to Burgau (Germany) - 500km to spend my 2000$. I have an uncle that lives 100km from Burgau, where I overslept. Wanted to buy Stingray, but chose Alembic!

I encourage everyone to make the crusade for getting the best bass possible for themselves. It's also an experience you remember everytime you pick the bass up!

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    All Wawicks are built in Germany last I knew. And I'd agree to look for the Thumb used-look on Bassgear.com and the TalkBass classifieds as well. The reason is that the Thumb is one of the most popular basses out there due to guys like Ryan Martine and Dirk Lance using them, and that means a big influx in the used department. Another reason they end up in the classified is that they have a couple design flaws that lead to neck dive and for some a long reach to the first frets. For this reason I won't ever buy one even if I like the sound. But Thumb basses are on the market VERY often-there's probably a bunch out there right now.