Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to put it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FaBu-, Apr 29, 2005.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I just reseaved my new SC bass, and it's awesome. There's just one problem: the luthier didn't have the time to install the upper (closer to neck) strap holder. So I'll have to do it myself. It's not a big problem, but I'd like to know EXACTLY what I'm doing before I drill any holes to my bass. So
    1) Where should I place the strap holder for maximum balance on a singlecut?
    2) Is it ok if I just drill a small hole and screw the thing in?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. I would think you should take it back to the luthier to have the top strap button installed. A good guitar shop should be able to do it for you, as well. It easy to put the thing on, but you don't want to wind up with 10 holes in the body because you couldn't find a balance point.

Gorgeous bass, BTW.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Ask this in the Luthier's corner. I'm sure they'll be able to advise you quickly and accordingly.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Didn't have time? What, was there a fire drill or something?

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Exactly my thoughts---what kind of luthier would turn over his bass with only one strap lug? I wouldn't have had time to pay him.

6. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Wow wow, the luthier is a nice guy and all! The guys from the post (he sent it to me) picked the bass up from his place and he didn't have the time to put it in...

And I already solved the problem, I just put it as close to the neck as possible and now it's perfect! And I had to drill only on hole :spit:

Thanks anyway!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    More importantly, hows that thing sound?

8. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Here you can listen to some samples I recorded. They suck, but you can get an idea of how the bass sounds. And don't mind the "reggae" sample, it was just for a guy I know, who's a reggae bassist :p He wanted to hear how it would work in reggae. Well anyway, it sounds awesome and those samples really don't do it any justise.

9. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    How much did that thing cost you? I've always bee interested in singlecut basses like yours, and the Fodera Matt Garrison sig bass, unfortunately, I can't afford a Fodera...

By the way, what's the control setup?

10. dave-

There are many great luthiers building singlecuts out there. I am having Mark Eshenbaugh build me mine and Chris Benavente and Carey Nordstrand are both doing wonderful work. All three of these guys are at pricepoints much lower than new Foderas.

11. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    You can ask Ales Vychodil (www.volny.cz/avbasses) for a price quote on a bass you want.

The controls: volume, blend, bass, mid, treble and pickup splitters...

12. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Matt; Thanks for the links!

FaBu; how much did yours run you?

13. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    A bit more then $1000...