1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to put lo/hi pass filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by a_magg, Apr 22, 2009.

1. a_magg

a_magg

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    Right now I'm running a small board for some singer songwriter projects, and I'm trying to figure out whether to put my EHX Knockout before or after my LTD SR overdrive.

Does anyone have a suggestion perhaps?

Thanks,

Mags

Edit: Just so everyone sees, the chain I'm running is: Bass > Pitchblack > Compulator > (Knockout) - (LTD SR) > EB Volume > Amp

2. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    either, depends on what sound you get from the two setups.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    What are you using it for specifically?

I make use of a Low Pass Filter quite a bit, but I'm guessing I use it for different things than you do.

4. a_magg

a_magg

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    I generally kick it on now and again for slow moments, and I use it in conjunction with swelling the volume pedal to get a bowing articulation.

What would be the situation you use it BigO? I'm always open for new ideas, the chain order was kinda the icebreaker for the subject :)

5. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I use a Moog LPF and the primary use is just to cut the frequencies above a certain threshold (say 250-300 Hz) to get a dub tone.

The second biggest use is for electronica textures with expression control of the cutoff. So, similar to the first use except that when I sweep with the pedal it opens up the range. With fuzz or other effects that add harmonic content, this gives that techno sound of the bass "opening up".

For your application I'd but the Knockout AFTER any dirt (OD/Distortion/Fuzz) but really the only way to know what you like is to try it both ways.

6. a_magg

a_magg

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    Thats how I originally had it, using the Dry control to add/subtract the OD from the signal

The other way really drives the boosted low frequencies, so I guess I need to sit down and see where I want it. As of right now, I think I'll put it back to the original chain (your suggestion).

As a separate subject I was hoping to throw a reverb in there, not sure if it'll be the Malekko Spring Chicken or perhaps a EBS DynaVerb. Would it be most logical to toss this at the end of the chain?

7. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm looking at the EBS myself. I really want a Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverberator, but can't find anyone that has one in stock which is a good thing for my wallet.

Yeah, I put reverb at the very end of my chain, even after delay sometimes depending on what I'm using it for. Of course, if you were doing shoegaze type stuff it could be further up in your chain. All depends on the sounds you want.