1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to put my delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fishsticks, Apr 22, 2009.

1. My signal chain is as follows:
    bass>mxr smart gate>boss tuner>sparkle drive>Bass Big Muff(two outputs) wet>amp(dry>amp).

i had tried the boss DD-3 after the tuner(since the only extra connector i have is male to male with no cable) but it made it sound more like a "hall" reverb when the BBM was on. so i think after the BBM is best but i cant decide whether to make it delay the dry or the wet signal.... opinions please:help:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO there are only two places to put a delay: at the very end of the chain, or in a feedback loop.

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Yeah, I've got two delays in my chain, one at the very end and one in the middle, but they effectively act like the end of their individual chains (ie, when I'm using the one in the middle, I'm not using any of the pedals after it)

4. Sorry for the thread derailment but, what's a feedback loop? I've always been curious. What does it do?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It takes the output of one or more effects and feeds it back into their input. This creates beautiful walls of chaotic sound, and may destroy your speakers if you aren't careful.

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +1 it gets crazy fast. They are fun though with some delay and phaser.

To the OP: It looks like your doing stereo. In that case I would delay the dry.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I run my delay almost at the end, just before my phaser. When doing crazy oscillation I like to raise the phase speed as I rasie the pitch of the delay for emulate a spaceship taking off.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    In the loop of another pedal (say a filter) is good too. And I can understand putting a chorus, phaser or flanger after it to get modulated delays. When I had both a delay and a SansAmp on my board I put the BDDI last just so all my effects would go FOH. But at that time the SansAmp really was nothing more than a a DI as I ran the blend 100% dry.

The only other time I've had a delay elsewhere in my chain was when I had this board:
    pedalboard1.

The Superdelay was my primary delay but occasionally I'd use the PS-3 in one of the delay modes. Running delay-->other effects-->delay was fun but not all that practical.

9. One idea that might be really cool, but would require you to get a different delay, would be to get something like the DD-7 that has stereo inputs, and run both your outputs from your BBM into the delay. That would get you some pretty stinking cool sounds.

10. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i have three loopers... two are in the middle (one right after the other)
    and the other is at the end.

i wouldn't mind having one at the beginning though.

you might get another one and then have one at the beginning AND one at the end. of course they'll have vastly different effects, but it gives you more to work with then, i'd think.

[spunj13]

11. thanks everyone!
    i like the dd-7 idea, but since i cant buy one of those till i sell the dd-3, i will try the dry delay first.

12. Just FYI, there are other delays that have stereo inputs that are less expensive than the DD-7, but that was just the first one that popped into my mind. I think that the DD-5 and the DD-6 both have stereo inputs, and should be available used for about the same as what a new DD-3 costs, or maybe a little more.