Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to put the Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Hey all....

I currently place my rack on top of my speaker cab which places it at about hip level? Does anyone else have an idea to get the rack either higher like mid chest level, or angled on the floor so you can see it? Anyone sell anything like this? This is a 8U? sized rack holding my GenzBenze GBE600 with a power conditioner and Korg Tuner. I'd like to get it off of my cab so it doesn't get shaken all the time and to some place where I can make a quick adjustment to it.....

Thanks
    SB

2. frankenfrankie

frankenfrankie

Feb 6, 2005
    a friend of mine who's been in the business for over 30 years mounts the rack in a milk crate, the perfect width. it is solid has the height you need. and you can mount other pre-amps or whatever you might add to your setup in it as well.

you can spray paint ugly ones or there are always black ones to be found that work nicely.

hope this helps.

3. What size crate are you talking about? My amp is at least 19" across and almost 12" deep....much bigger than a standard milk crate. I am looking for something that is angles to hold the rack at floor level so I can read the settings while standing.....

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Scott, I have a rack that I custom made that is 8U and has the top 4 angled. I would sell it because I dont use it anymore. I was considering making a little side business out of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this kind of what you are looking for? You would still put it on top of your amp and because the top is angled it's easy to read even though it's below eye-level. that's exactly why I built it this way. You can see the angle more clearly on the case lid to the right.

5. Freakin' Sweeeeeett!!!!!!!!!

That is what I was looking for! I guess I am going to have to build something like that. That looks very professional! Can you post some specs?

SB

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I dont really have specs, what would you like to know about it?

7. Maybe just a quick overview of the materials and parts for corners and handles. I can come up with some dimensions pretty easily. Any problems that you forsee? is the back open for ventilation?

SB

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I got all of the hardware from Penn Fabrication. They have EVERYTHING!!!! You can pick and choose everything, corners, handles, hinges, and there's a million choices. They even have the rack rails in every size. I made it out of 3/4" MDF, looking back it should have been 1/2" because it's pretty heavy. The back is completely open and has a lift off hinge just like the front. If you have any wood working skills and a table saw it's a piece of cake.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    WOW! That is a really cool rack case Josh!

I wish I had a bunch of stuff to fill it up. If I did, I'd buy it.

-Mike

10. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    That is a pretty sweet rack. Just out of curiosity(I have no need for anything like that...yet) what would you let one of those go for?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Prob close to $300 for this 8-space, $250 for one without the angle. I had a whole pricing/options thing worked out at one time. But I don't remember any of it right now.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Curry Cases???

Another TB member makes it big time in the bass gear market????

-Mike

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    HAHA! Maybe if people want them I will build them. Each one would be custom.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cool case dude. very nice.
    as for vibrations from the cab, don't worry. you get more vibration damage on the ride to the gig hitting one bump.
    i've done the amp on top of the milk crate thing more than once, even milk crate on top of cab with the head on that. :p
    of course i looked liek a weenie. :D

15. I think a 2x10 cab would work perfectly. :D

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just out of curiosity... whats the antares autotune used for?

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    um, er, nothin! I mean, I dunno, it's just in there for looks! :confused:

I actually don't use it anymore. I was using it in conjuction with my fretless for a while. It just doesn't work as good in the lower registers.

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    wanna sell it? pm me! :)