Where to put the Sansamp Driver DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by romac, Mar 26, 2004.

1. I am currently in the process of spending my hard earned money on a new intermidate rig. It looks like I'll be getting the Behringer Head and the Ashdown MAG 115T cab. But after seeing rave reviews about the Sansamp Driver DI, I was thinking of getting one. But where would it go?? Would it be useful in a set-up like this?? Do I need one or does the head give me enough tone shaping capabilites??
  2. The bass driver is a combination DI / pre-amp with tone controls / overdrive pedal. I would plug my bass into the Bass Driver and then plug the pedal into the amp head. This will give you more flexability than you will have with the head alone. Do you need it? I'd get the amp and speaker 1st, play it for a while and then decide if I needed anymore toys to hook up. One thing I can't understand is why they go for like $130 used on Ebay when you can get them new with a warranty for $170?
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my experience has been that the bass DI from tech21 either the BDDI or the RBI can make lesser amps more pleasant to listen to! Thats my opinion. The mistake most people make is cranking the 'sansamp blend' knob and it gets too muddy for people, but I run about 1-2 o'clock and get a nice blend of guitar and sansamp sound goint to the amp.
  4. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'd put the tech21 direct into the power in of the amp to bypass the preamp of the behringer. It seems to be simple but it has a great tone !
  5. Mine goes in between my bass and my amp head. I can then go from an Ashdown sound (my amp) to an Ampegish sound (the BDDI) at the flick of the switch!

I also get the sound guy at venues to run an output from the BDDI itself - on a separate channel from the amp DI. Means that I can have one 'unaffected' bass channel (all my effects are after the BDDI) and an effected bass channel which are blended for the FOH! Seems to go down quite well!
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I put mine in the effects loop in the back of my amp (SWR SM-500). Not only can I use the blend control on the BDDI, but my amp has an effects blend knob on the front. It's nice if I'm playing rock I can dial in the right amount of dirt and adjust the level on the front of my amp instead of having to bend down and do it.
  7. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm using two different rigs at different training spaces at the moment; my bass and the SansAmp RBI are the only thing I keep with me at both places. With my old EBS preamp + QSC setup I use the RBI in the effects loop of the preamp; I can go from clear hi-fi sound to grit with one click on the pedal - RBI changes the sound character completely. With the smaller Behringer BX3000T + 1x15" setup I use the RBI between the bass and the head (still using the Behringer pre and EQ), not so much for the overdriven, gritty sound but for a more airy and open presence. Go figure :)
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I run mine at the end of my effects chain so the output goes to the amp and if I'm hooked into a PA I get an "effected" tone going in there as well. Great little box...you can try it out in so many different ways and use the one that makes you happy! :cool: