Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to re-refinish a 64 Fender jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QED314, Jun 21, 2005.

1. QED314

QED314

Jun 21, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I have a 64 fender jazz bass, entirely original except for the fact that it has been refinished. The main problem is that the refinish is terrible. I don't know what kind of paint was used, but you can easilly scratch through to the wood with your thumbnail. The paint is very thin.

Anyhow, I been thinking about getting the bass refinished with a professional job. I'm willing to pay quite a bit for the work to be high quality. However, I have no idea where to pursue this idea. Will the fender custom shop do this kind of work? I couldn't find anything in the web. Anyhow, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-QED314

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know that there are some good luthiers here that do this kind of thing. You might post in the want ads here to get someone to price it for you.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mark Jenny. AKA MJTele.

http://www.mjtelecaster.com/

I believe he'll do any vintage Fender.

He'll do it to spec, or he'll relic it as much or as little as you want. I had him do a Tele for me, and it's brilliant...good nitro job, the proper clear coat and excellent attention to detail.

He's also great with communication and provided pictures all along the way.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  6. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    The best guys out there, IMO, are Scott Lentz in San Marcos, CA and Lay's in Ohio. Scott is known far and wide as being THE nitrocellulose laquer refin guy. I can tell you that I have had Scott do 4 refins for me, and they were all super thin, and like magic! His Burgundy Mist is the most authentic I've seen, and his Sonic and Daphne blues are breathtaking. Really first rate. You should get out for around 3 or 4 hundred. Lay's has a great reputation, but I haven't seen them in person. I can seriously vouch for Scott's work, though. To my knowledge, he's never had an unsatisfied customer....that says something!

7. Jimmy Coppolo at Guitar and Bass Boutique in NYC is supposed to be top notch.

http://www.bassboutique.com/repair.html

I'd also be interested to know if the Fender Custom Shop will do a refinish. Supposedly the CS Time Machine basses are finished exactly as they were back in the day, and they do make a '64 Jazz replica. It would be cool to have a "factory refinish."

Please let us know how you make out.

8. QED314

QED314

Jun 21, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for all of the advice so far. I visited the fender custom shop homepage, but didn't see any links or good contact information. Does anyone know how or who I might contact in order to get the ball rolling?

Also, any other suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Thanks!

QED314b :bassist:

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try calling Fender Customer Service at 480-596-9690.

10. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I may be completely wrong here, but did I not read about how Mr Mike Lull provides excellent refins? Or was that setups?

*less than helpful*

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In my dealings with Mark, he would have done any level of relicing or not. I asked for a specific amount of wear, but he was willing to do whatever.

While Roxy is good, I would avoid them or other places that are going to shoot poly. I believe with an original pre-68 you probably want as close to the original nitro job as possible.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The best guitar finish shop in the world is Wilkins. That said, I'd only use Wilkins if the Fender custom shop can't do the work. I'd go to Fender first.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    WOW! I'm in the same exact boat I have a sweet 64 P that has a horrible refin on it and I want to put it back the the original Olympic White!.
    It also needs a new Decal put on, I have the correct logo decal, Just needs to be applied.
    I been pondering a new refin but I didn't want to mail this bass out I would rather hand deliver and pick it up, She's to valuable to me.
    I'm looking for suggestions also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
  15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    +1 on Scotty. Quite a character and a real artist when it comes to nitro refins. I have an Olympic White '64 P Bass he did for me that is just dead-on. And I also have a '58 P that he refinished before I got it with a very authentic looking two-color SB.

16. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I've got an early musicmaster bass with an AWFUL finish on it, and the sanding job the previous owner did was horrible as well. I'm not even sure if its worth getting refinished. I think it was olympic white, thats the colour I found under the pickup at least.
    I'm also trying to find its SN but I can only find on on the neck plate. There was one on the heel of the neck, but its been obscured with the finish rubbing onto it.
    Very sad really. The neck is in rather excellent condition, aside from a bad nut.

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I highly recommend Pat Wilkins in Van Nuys California.

He sprays for Spector, MTD, Sadowsky and others.

Amazing attention to detail and perfect everytime in my experiences with him.

www.wilkinsguitars.com

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Mike,
    I don't think Pat Wilkins sprays nitrocellulose lacquer, which is what these guys are looking for in respect to authenticity.
    Pat does do excellent finishes though....I believe he sprays with polyester...if I'm wrong, please correct me.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I examined his site, and can't find any reference to what he uses. I would assume if he used nitro, he'd be talkin' about it, especially since he talks about the accuracy of his colors. If it were my 64 I wouldn't want poly, for either accuracy or for resale value.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

No, I think you are right.

btw- Phil Hendrie rules