1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to Re-Start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FunkQueen, Aug 28, 2007.

1. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    I am an experienced bass player.
    I mainly play bass for my songwriting as a solo
    instrument. I am singing over my lines.
    So I dont play for other bands.
    I can slap, tap, play some funk.
    But I always seem to play at the same level.
    I got many books like Mark King Bass Lines,
    Bass Hand Exercices etc... I care more about performance
    rather than theory.
    But I dont know exactly where to Re-start practicing and
    how to learn great new riffs in a step by step fashion.

Any general advices on how to have a progressive study plan?

2. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I think the most critical component missing is the lack of playing with other musicians, especially those who are better than youself. You don't necessarily have to join a band, however jamming with likeminded musicians can open doors for creating different way of approaching your instrument. Try hitting some open mic sets or place an add in craigslist for players who are also looking for you.

3. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    I am glad I got drum machine.
    Yeah but I feel better when I am all alone in a solo format.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Expand what you listen to find new music other styles and players.

Your a songwriter then trying writing in different styles. Good songwriters can learn to write and record in other styles just the same as players have to. Writing in anther style is going to force you to think bass differently.

Sounds like you have focused on the fancy bits slapping and tapping well change your focus on playing a simple solid line. That will make you think more about the notes you choose.

Remember to practice creativity you limit what you have to use not increase it. Work on doing more with less. Write four chorus of a Walking Blues bass. Only four quarter notes per measure can you write four chorus' that can hold someones interest when you playing it by yourself. No rhythms to help just quarter notes, no taps or slaps, no effects, your choice of notes is all you got. Will it build interest, will you repeat yourself too much, can the listener tell where you are in the Blue by your line? By the time you get those four chorus' written you will know a lot about note selection, tension/release, strong beats, weak beats, groove, and dynamics. Then use that info with your slaps and taps and see how you've grown.

5. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    You just answered your own question.

6. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    I agree. If you really want to take composition and your performance further you need to have a good solid understanding of what it is you are doing and why you do it. There really is no difference between performance and theory anyway. Applied theory affects technical development. Etudes based on theoretical concepts help to condition your physical development as well as giving you an understanding of the context of what you are playing. If anything the more theory you know the more you are free to explore new ideas and think outside of the proverbial box. So my answer to Funkqueen's post is obvious, learn theory and you will be making a good start.

7. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    Thx for the ideas. My nickname used to be MFender but I lost my password.
    I am actually an old talkbass member from Turkey.
    I am writing songs on my bass these days and it feels really good.
    I am tryin to learn many chord progressions on bass.
    (playing 2 or 3 note chords on bass)
    Any chord progression shapes that you can advise me?
    Or any web site that shows some chord progressions on bass?

8. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    http://www.michaeldimin.com/licks.htm

click on lessons, good stuff, i have his book on order now:bassist:

9. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    thx tbone.
    checkin out right away:)