Where to restart

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by TheSuzie, Aug 19, 2009.

1. A few years ago I lost almost all my possessions including instruments, notated real book, charts, Simandl, Abersold stuff, lesson notes etc. I was just at the doctor to check out my hands and he says that in a month or two there is a chance I can start to practice again. I thought it would be sooner...

Anyway I have picked up an Ergo bass since there is no chance for me to have a DB in my current living situation which may well be temporary. I hope to do some sort of lessons again at some point even if it is just by webcam. My health does not permit me to travel freely away from home.

The question is what educational materials should I get/replace. I don't even know if it is possible to get a real book any more. I got my bass clef book back in the '80s and they used to keep them hidden out of plain view in the stores back then. Don't know if anything better has come along.

I have some theory practice/study software I have been using to brush up on things and I will start writing things out soon. A friend loaned me a keyboard so I can sit and work out lines and melodies.

Where should I start? Assume that I have accrued enough brain damage to forget most everything (not that I knew very much) because that is not too far from the reality.

Thanks,
    S

2. The bass clef real books are still available.
    All the stuff you lost a while back are still available. The basics haven't changed much. The only big change in delivery is having the same stuff in PDF on the computer, or on DVD, or youtube.

The program 'Band in a Box' can be useful to jam along with when you're by yourself.

Also something to consider is setting up a nice friendly comfortable jam space in your home and inviting local acoustic guitar players, singers, other musicians to come by your place and jam. That's a great way to get back in the swing of things.

3. Thanks for your reply. I was just freaking out a bit. I really don't know my way around the city, only the remote places where I used to camp. I'm glad to see that there are even legal Real Books that I can order online..

A jam space is still a long way away for me. Maybe my landlady will let me use the porch someday if/when my health improves. Most people won't come out to these parts at night. Only folks about are border runners and border patrol.

Peace,
    S

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Suzie, welcome back!

Its nice to see you here and trying to find your way back into music. I wish you all the success in the world. :)

5. Thanks Jake,

It has been a bumpy ride of late. Easy to get discouraged in general. I'm just trying to keep my own head from taking me out of the game.

S

6. Suzie,

Welcome back. You were just checking out when I was gettin' started here.

I'm sending you a PM.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021