Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to shop for basses in the West?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jdombrow, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I am in the market for a new double bass and figure I'll have to travel somewhere to try before I buy. I live in Colorado. Any recommendations on a city or area that will have a dealer (or multiple stores) with a good selection of basses to look at in the $2500-4000 range?

JD

2. I don't know what he has in your stated price range, but TalkBass member Paul Warburton lives in Denver and usually has a good supply of well set up basses on hand.

3. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I didn't know that Paul is a dealer.

Paul, are you out there?

Jim D

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Also, Aaron @ Robertson's in Albuquerque is worth a road trip. Nice guy and great selection.

5. robertson's violin in albuquerque is your best bet. I am in alaska and will make a road trip there at some point.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, Paul is out there:D

7. While I have to agree that Robertson's is one of the finest shops in the country, I not sure that they are the best place to look for instruments in the $2,500 to $4,000 range. IMO, their stock tends to be more in the high end.

Robertson's Inventory on web site

If distance is no object, then Hammond Ashley in Seattle might be a better choice for that price range.

Hammond Ashley basses

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Although I haven't been there in awhile, I wouldn't let that stop anyone from checking them out. They always (as does HA) have more than what is on their website, and don't update very often. Last time they had a bunch, as well as some on consignment.

Monte

9. I based my opinion on being in Robertsons shop last July. If you are on your way to Las Vegas, I can't think of a better place to go.;)

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Aha, its been a lot longer than that since I've been there.

Monte

11. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I looked at Robertson's site (as well as many others) before posting my question. My impression was that Robertson's does not normally stock or deal in basses in my price range.

Jim D

12. Yes, i'm here. Jim and I emailed each other...At that time, I had nothing in that price range, but in the next few weeks i'll be getting a couple in the $5 to $6K range.

13. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Jim, you may want to check at kolacny music here in Denver as well, I played a few of their basses the a few months ago that were in your price range; not bad, althought you sure you couldn't come up with a little more dough?

14. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Robin: Thanks for telling me about Kolacny music. They don't currently have anything in my price range, but they have some Christopher's and Eastman's on order that may meet my needs.

Why are you asking if I can raise my budget? What would you suggest?

JD

15. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thought of another possibility- Von's violin shop (303)778-1349, tell him i sent you, he's a good friend of mine. i was just over there last week and think he may have some basses lying around maybe only one, but they might be decent. As far as price range, I think your chances of finding something that will hold up for a while would be better in the $5000-$6000 range (you may notice alot of shops have basses in this range, it probably the average cost of a bass these days). Let's put it this way: i would probably feel real uncomfortable playing a gig on a bass in you price range at a gig, but for $6000 i think i would be ok. Of course there's always a chance you could find a bass worth that much from someone who doesn't know what they've got and get for a lot less dough- but not at a shop. I don't know where you're at in bass playing yet either- if you're just getting started, I'd just get something cheap to get going on and save for a better bass if you decide you're serious.

16. HI all,
    I am making a trip to LA this week to look at some more basses.
    Here is a list of the places I will check out:
    LA Bassworks, Lisa Gass
    Stein on Vine, Gary Chen
    Metzler Violin Shop, Tom Metzler
    Lemur Music
    World Of Strings, John
    another violin shop in Laguna (949 area code) that sometimes have Shen basses, etc.
    Azola Basses, Steve Azola

anyone else can think of any other places to go in southern California??? Or any private parties selling basses in the area???

I am looking for:
    a small 3/4 size bass for jazz that will be fun and comfortable to play all day long, easy to transport, good for the road, etc.
    It can be plywood, hybrid, or carved. Probably hybrid will be my first choice as I will be taking this bass everywhere I go (all climates,lots and lots of flying). Price is no object if I find the bass I am looking for.

Thanks for reading,
    Vince J.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado