Where to slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassboard19, Sep 20, 2000.

1. bassboard19

Jul 10, 2000
    Where is the correct place to slap on the string i slap near the neck, like right before it, but i have a friend who slaps near the bridge. Last time i tried slapping on the bridge it busted my e string. so where is the right place to slap.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually the best (read: popular) position for slapping is over the last frets of the neck. But Marcus Miller, for example, hits between the neck pickup and the fretboard. But you really can slap anywhere on the strings, you'll just get different sounds. Try for yourself and go with what you like best.

Just remember to use the thumb like a piano hammer - let it hit the string and bounce right off. You really don't need much force to slap - ususally it becomes easier when you don't hit that hard...

Oh, this is my 200th post - senior at last...:D

[Edited by JMX on 09-20-2000 at 11:28 AM]
  3. >>...ususally it becomes easier when you don't hit that hard... <<
    Take that rule, and ingrave it in your mind! it took me about 3 months to realize that if you hit the strings softer, you have more controll over the strings. i was always wondering what was wrong with my ability to get a slap tone out of the d and g strings, turns out, i was hitting too hard, also its helpful to slap right over the fret board for the d and g strings cause i dont know, but when i slap that works.

betcha i confused you
  4. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    There isn't a right place to slap...just a most comfortable. go with what you like tonally and physically. oh...and make sure you dont slap too hard. :D