1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to source Fender bodies and necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seratone1, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Seratone1

Seratone1

Jun 2, 2014
    Recently I found a 79 maple P-Bass neck on my local classifieds - that got me to thinking that I like to start a bass build project. I've been poking around Websites looking for used necks and bodies. I'm a fan of relics no naturally I'm checking out Road Worn bodies.

Can anyone suggest places I can find bodies (nitro). necks and hardware? There's the Stratosphere, but I find them to be a little cost prohibitive, and just brand new basses torn apart with very little mojo.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    ebay

3. Seratone1

Seratone1

Jun 2, 2014
    Wow, thanks

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The talkbass accessories classifieds.

5. Warmoth is probably your best bet for a quality product without paying Stratosphere ebay pricing. Just get one either in the hot-buys section, or an unfinished body. If you can paint it yourself, you'll save a bunch of money. Otherwise you might be best buying a complete used bass, swapping on the neck you bought, and selling the spare neck.

6. Btw, I've done probably 5 instrument builds over the years. All Fenders, only one bass though. (did a few Strats & Teles).

My Jazz bass, I started with a concept and then went from there sourcing parts that fit that concept. My concept was a Jazz bass with no pickguard (rear routed controls), active electronics, and a non-finished "exotic" neck.

Here's my result:
    Blade B2 Tetra ash body, used
    Blade B2 active electronics
    Warmoth Pau Ferro neck (!) w/ masacar ebony fretboard (new)
    Fender USA pickups, used
    Lightweight tuners (blanking on brand, but they were $$, new)
    Wilkinson bridge, new
    Ebay cocobola (?) control knobs, new

All in, I was at $1k in parts. Resale is probably $500. Who knows, I'll never sell it. Could have bought a real nice used bass for $1k, but my parts bass came out great.

For my Strat builds, I've done some from scratch - again with new Warmoth necks. Body from ebay, used. One of my Tele builds I bought a nice parts-tele, then changed out the body, neck, and tuners. Seriously. I changed the body first and played it for a couple months, then changed the neck. Went from mahogany body and rosewood board to swamp ash body and maple board. Cost nothing to swap bc I sold off old body & neck.

I have another Tele body I picked up 3 years ago waiting for a neck. Actually have a Tele neck too, waiting for a body - but I want a rosewood or pau ferro board (or solid neck!) for my Tele body build. The spare maple neck I haven't decided yet. Might go to an Esquire build with a pine body.

The "secret" to staying within budget is waiting for things to pop up on sale or used. The downside is a build can take 5+ years! The upside is I only do one build at a time, so 5 years doesn't drain the wallet. The Jazz bass though I pushed through in 4 months.

7. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    Not happy with The Stratosphere. If you get what you wanted on the first try you may be ok. But if you need any level of customer service...forget it. They have no sense of urgency and their communications are almost non-existant.

8. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    Stratosphere customer service is a joke !!

Ghastly likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021