1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to start upgrading a rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Never_grew_up, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Where does one start when upgrading a rig? Amp 1st then cab? Cab 1st then amp? Opinions?

BTW, i have a cheap Japanese copy of an EB-3, an old Crate 150 head w/matching 1-15 cab, and an older Trace Elliot GSM7 150 watt head. I'm playing w/the Trace through the Crate cab & keeeping the Crate amp as a backup. We play 1-2 times a month doing 60's - 80's covers for 75 - 150 people audiences & I don't go through the PA.

Whenever I do upgrade I'll probably trade the head(s) both in plus some $ for the new, & do the same w/the cab.

2. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If you don't like your tone than I'd start with a new bass first, then head than cab, but that's just me. As far as amps and cabs go I don't know what type of sound you like so I can't offer any specific recommendations.

3. The one thing I'm happy with is my bass. I've played it through various other amp/speaker combinations and gotten some great sounds. I broke my left wrist about 10 years ago and since then I can't roll it forward very far. My little crappy Sekoosa is a short scale but with the combination of the big neck pickup and the little bridge pickup I can get some pretty good sounds out of it.

I'll probably end up w/a single 410 or 212 cabinet and a 250 - 300+ watt head. That will give me plenty of thump in a manageable package.

I guess from a philosophical standpoint my questions is if you're limited to changing 1 thing at a time, what would you change 1st to make the biggest impact, head or cab?

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Changing the head will make a big difference but if you put a great head on crap speakers you will get nothing but crap out. The thing to do is try to figure out what you might want to end up with by going to every music store in your area and play your bass through ac many speaker amp combinations as you can and decide what sounds best to you. then let us know what you found and what you like and dislike about things and we can help from there.

5. I would go amp 1st then cab. It would be easier to carry around the amp when its time to test some cabs to pair it up with. You may also want to consider a seperate amp and preamp.

6. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    +1 ... if you find the right preamp and power amp you might be able to end up with a killer setup that has a lot more power than a standard head for the same price.

7. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Buy a quality used power amp for cheap. Throw a used pre in front (stompbox is fine) and buy a used pro level cab. This would prob all cost as much as one peice new from a GC or the like and make your sound 10X better in one move.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Get the head first and save your nickels and dimes for a cab.

9. hmm so what happened ? what did you get ? strange no one asked you what kinda sound you were after .. i woudl have said before you change anything find out what sound you want .. the trace probably isn't a bad head and probably doesn't get a bad sound as long as you like the trace sound .. so I would have said why do you want to upgrade .. what are you looking for .. cos if it all sounds fine .. stick with what you have ... gear lust is fun but sometimes you can go to alot of trouble and money and end up with a sound you equally as unhappy with .. which is pretty sad .. I'd take your bass and your trace head and try a few cabs .. and then try a few different heads on those cabs as well .. but you need a point of reference .. if you don't at least take your bass and your head your not going to be able to get a good a b comparison .. maybe 'm thinking too much maybe you should go out and buy the shiniest one you can find .. let us know how you went and what you got