Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to start with Crimson????

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, May 25, 2002.

1. After i read the article on trey gunn in the latest BP (great issue) i must say i have become intrigued with the work of King Crimson...could anyone suggest to me where to start???

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    From the beginning, of course. :) "In the court of the Crimson King" is still their best album to date, IMO.

3. Yeah, the beginning is a good place. I also love Larks Tongues In Aspic..

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The band has gone through many personnel changes over the years, my favorite is the incarnation with John Wetton on bass. I'd have to go with "Red", "Starless and Bible Black", or "Larks' Tongues". Great crunchy Prog bass!

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, since Trey doesn't *play* on any of the albums you guys listed . . . :) I'd recommend: the live album Vrooom Vrooom. It'll cost you a bit more (two CDs) but it's excellent and has material from most of the different KC "incarnations".

The thing to remember about KC is that they've sounded very different over the years! If you don't like the first album you might very well like a number of other ones.

You can get an idea of this by listening to sound samples from some place like cdnow.com.

6. Buy the live albums if you want a good introduction to each of the important eras of the band: The Night Watch for the '72-74 (Wetton/Cross) band, Absent Lovers for the '80s band (Belew/Levin), and VROOOM VROOOM for the mid-'90s Double Trio (Fripp, Belew, Levin, Gunn, Bruford, Mastelotto). If you want to hear Trey Gunn tearing it up--and I think he's one of the most underrated bassists in rock--get the Level 5 EP, which is 3 new songs, "The ConstruKCtion of Light," and the excellent "The Deception of the Thrush," all recorded during the shows they played with Tool last summer.

I really can't listen to any of the pre-Larks' albums anymore. The production and general "WE ARE BEING PROGRESSIVE" musical approach are very dated, which is probably why Fripp doesn't enjoy playing any of that material onstage anymore. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Discipline, and THRAK are albums for the ages, though.

7. The Belew era is my favourite by far, I don't really enjoy any other ear. Discipline is my favourite.

--jeff

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ditto!

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be mirroring what some have said already... but to get a feel of each era of KC, you should pick up the following (in no particular order):

- In The Court of the Crimson King (studio)

- Red (studio)

- Absent Lovers (live double cd)

- B'Boom (live double cd)

Trey plays on B'Boom, but none of the rest of the stuff listed. This will give you a good idea of what each era of Crimson sounded like and you can branch out from where ever you feel interests you the most. I personally dig it all.

10. I only have 4 or so, but I really like "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Discipline". Good, weird, rock music.

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Lark's Tongue in Aspic
    Red
    Discipline
    Beat
    The ConstruKction of Light

at some point, you start thinking that ALL the albums are a good start! :D

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you have a DVD player get the live double trio one.........off the hook great.......Tony Levin & Trey Gunn in the same band.........yikes! I recently got a boot of Liquid Tension with Tony Levin just playing the stick...............he is one badass!!!!

13. Discipline is AWESOME!!! Listen to the stuff like 'Thela Hunjingeet' and 'Indiscipline'...scary stuff in the literal sense of the word...'Frame By Frame' is a crowd favorite. The dual guitar work is amazing!