Where To Start With In Flames?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, Apr 2, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My bass teacher has been talking about In Flames a lot lately, calling them melodic, aggresive, heavy, and he says they are absolutely amazing. Always wanting to listen to new bands, I decided to search for some internet CD reviews to see which In Flames CD I would buy first. Every CD review site I have seen always gives 'The Jester Race' and 'Whoracle' a 10/10, and so I can't decide between these two. So which one of the two would you reccomend for someone who is just starting to listen to In Flames?

Graeme :bassist:
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    In Flames is amazing. Get "Whoracle".

I have a cover of Depeche Mode's "Everything Counts" that they did several years ago that's hilarious.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    "Jester Race" slightly edges out "Whoracle" in my opinion, but only slightly. Both are superb examples of the Gothenburg sound and melodic metal in general.

If you like this style you should definately get Dark Tranquility's "The Gallery" as well. I will vigorously argue that it's superior to "Jester Race" in every respect (the first track, "Punish My Heaven" is a perfect example of what metal SHOULD sound like), though many will disagree with me. Still its impossible to ignore that Dark Tranquilty did at least as much as In Flames in driving this brand of metal forward. Regardless of which band you prefer not owning this record should be a mortal sin among metal heads! It is that f*cking good!

Another of my favorite melodic metal albums from cold northern countries is "North From Here" by Sentenced. Despite the fact that they aren't from Sweden (they're Finnish) its still incredible. Not quite the same vein as either DT or In Flames, more melodic black metal, harsher, darker, more menacing. Incredible playing by all 4 members, and Taneli Jarva (bass/vocals) does some jaw dropping bass work on it.
  4. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Don't start with Soundtrack To Your Escape. Other than that, they're all good, but some people feel Reroute to Remain was a weak effort.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't have Whoracle...forgot to get that one :confused:

But I have Jester Race and think it's great. I don't really like the direction In Flames went so I don't buy their newer stuff.

I also like Dark Tranquility alot. I just got Character but I need to listen to it a little more. It didn't grab me like Damage Done did. I don't have The Gallery yet but its on my list of CDs to buy next.

I also like Soilwork. Try Natural Born Chaos first. I got Stabbing the Drama and it hasn't made an impression on me yet, just like the latest DT.
  6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    +1 on Soilwork. Natural Born Chaos and Predator's Portrait I dig a lot.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    In flames are great, on of those bands that makes proud of sweden :D

Other good swedish metal bands is At the gates and the haunted. :hyper:
  8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Drain STH is from Sweden, aren't they?

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Colony & Clayman...are my personal favorite In Flames albums. The live in Japan is pretty rad too. I dont care for the 2 newer ones very much. Sounds like their trying to hard to fit in with the heavier mainstream metal bands.

+1 for At The Gates, and The Haunted.
  10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'd go for Clayman first (that was the first album of theirs I bought). But Jester Race and Colony are good albums IMO as well.

Also I'm really digging Soilwork's Stabbing The Drama right now. I don't think its as good as Natural Born Chaos but there are some really good tunes on it.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Ah yes, At The Gates... I have 'Slaughter of the Soul', it's a very good album.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Any more opinions?

12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    At the Gates are one of the more overrated metal bands around. Their early stuff is pretty lackluster death metal, Slaughter of the Soul was the only album that really shined.

The Haunted are another story, basically what AtG might have grown into had they continued. Good stuff.

While we're talking about good swedish metal acts what's everyone think of Dissection?
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I really did not get into Soundtrack to your Escape much. I much prefered the Jester Race, Whoracle, etc. basically up through Clayman. Reroute was OK, it had it's moments.

The Haunted are excellent, pick any album. :bassist:

Dark Tranquility are good, but to me some albums are a lot stronger than others.
  14. In flames are great, an awesome live band IMO aswell, i saw the in melbourne last year. Peter Iwers is a terrific bass player and i love his ESP's. My brother has all their albums. Reroute to Remain is one of their best IMO. Great album, if your looking for a good taste of what they sound like i think that would be the way to go.
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    All of you need to go out and buy "The Gallery" right now! I'm not trying to hack in Flames, but nothing in thier catalog is as good as Gallery. Its the epitome of the entire Gothenburg sound: tight, technical, brutal and haunting all at once. Dak Tranquility's latter work branched out in a lot of different directions, much like In Flames did, but Gallery just packs all of the purest elements of what makes them such a cool band into 11 amazing tracks.

As for live I think DT is better as well. I've only seen them once, caught In Flames twice and DT was more intense than either show. Actually I'd have to rate DT as the most intense act I've ever seen live, with Cruelty era Cradle of Filth in second.