Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to start with Java, DHTML ect?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Hi all

Next year will be my last year at school then im going to go to uni and hopefully do a course called Multimedia (Software Development) but anyways i wanna get a bit of a headstart with this and start making some nifty snazzy websites.

I know basic html but i also want to learn Javascript, Dhtml, PHP, ect

So does anyone know any free sites with tutorials prefrably with examples becuase i find it easier to learn that way
    or
    Good books that teach this kind of stuff

If all goes well i might make a website for my media studies project next year

Anyways hopefully i can get some help

thanks

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    check out computerbooks.com....i got some excellent books from them for my MCSE training

-Mike

3. thanks heaps for those links guys...keep them coming

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    You don't need to know any; if the course is a good one, it'll slowly introduce it all at a gradual level.

If you still want to get a 'headstart' though, this refernce site is very good:

www.w3schools.com

Bookwise, check out 'understanding java ' by barry cornelius.

Warning: If you do learn this and display knowledge at uni, you'll come accross as a c*ck, so dispense knowledge sparningley and efficently.

5. Sams Teach Yourself books, they rule! I got one for HTML, JavaScript and PHP and my friend has a couple for programming in Basic and it helped further our knowledge in programming.

6. thanks heaps for the recomendations guys and the advice yoshi :)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL, so true! I remember my Intro to Unix class back in '95 or so: a geek sat in the back and would often comment about his precious Linux box. About the third class he tried to show up the prof (or just show off) and the prof said, "Clearly you're too advanced for this class. It doesn't bother me that you're wasting your employer's tuition reimbursement, but I'm giving the rest of the students material at the appropriate level. If you continue to give them concepts they're not ready for I'll ask you to leave my classroom".

I know nobody *here* would be so obnoxious... just giving an extreme example. :)

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeahm, theres a guy like that in our group. Onthe first few days, or fortnight infact he blended in just like the rest of us nooblars then slowly the questions began to roll out as did the sly attempts at catching the tutors off gaurd. The class soon became irritated with him, as have the tutors so he's practically dug himself a pit-of-lonesomeness.

He does look like boris off golden eye though, which I'm pretty pleased to say I pointed out!

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m