Where to start with Johnny Cash?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Like the title says. Ive heard some great things about him but have yet to get into it, Im more of a Buck Owens man when it comes to country. Ive only heard Ring of Fire, Hurt and Walk the Line. Id like to hear some of his darker stuff more so than his walk the line type stuff.
  2. Check out the "American Recordings" stuff. Great Songs, very simply arranged, mostly just accompanied by guitar. I recommend "I Won't Back down", great cover of Tom Petty's original...
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The live at San Quentin or Folsom are how I got into him. Kind of a greatest hits of sorts, but great discs too.
  4. Folsom Prison Blues baby...
    I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die...
    the words of a legend!
  5. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Maybe not the best place to start, but there is a Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson Storytellers disc floating around (just the two of them, two acoustic guitars, live) that is stunning. It is really amazing...
  6. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i am a HUGE BUCK OWENS FAN. with johnny cash you may want to get the columbia records 2 cd ESSENTIAL. good place to start. then after you let that sink in get the remastered folsom prison and live at san quinton, then just buy everything else.
    oh man buch owens and don rich. wow. i have everything buck did pre 1975 as don died late '74. the man put out like 73 albums pre 75 and i have all but 4. very expensive live import albums i just cant find anywhere. if you ever want to talk about buck you know where i'm at
  7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    All of the above are good starting points. Back in the mid 90's I had the privilege of opening for him. Before that day I never got him. After that day I realized how mistaken I had been. I have been lucky enough to share the stage with pretty much the who's who of country music. NO ONE touched me as much as he did. I have played thousands of gigs in my lifetime. I have played to audiences of 0 to 100,000+ people. Nothing has even come close to the feeling I got playing the show with "The Man In Black"
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    You could always pick up his greatest hits disc that just came out then work backwards.

I just picked it up and it's very awesome. After reading the biography in the booklet and hearing the last track I get shivers
  9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I love the American recordings and his two live discs. Those are excellent starting points, just make sure you listen to 'Boy Named Sue', 'Long Black Veil', 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' and 'Cadillac One Piece at a Time'. On his last album (CASH) he did a real slow, dark and wonderful cover of Depech Mode's 'Personal Jesus'.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a friend who is a Johhny fan and whille we were driving together he put on his last record America # 4 i think it is called and their was some pretty cool tunes on it .... And i Hung My Head.
  11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I bought that cd for like $7 at tower records about a month ago and I love it. Also I just bought American IV: The Man Comes Around and I really like it as well. The cover songs he does are great!
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

"Dark as a Dungeon" on that disc is without a doubt my favorite song ever recorded by Johnny Cash.
  13. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    His last album is very good, but not exactly in the same vein as his other stuff. It's all covers, but his versions are very moving.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Folsom Prison... I just love that he's playing for a prison.
  15. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone excited for the upcoming movie?