Where to start??!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 7, 2004.

1. well, i am thinking about a new cabinet. my peavey 1810 is too big (dimension-wise) and too heavy. also it can only handle 200 watts, which isn't enough for what i am doing. I really like the one big speaker for the lows and two smaller speakers for the highs (yes the peavey is biampable) but i am tired of having to lug the beast around. i really don't even know where to even start looking, because there are so many choices! i have been thinking about a 410 cab, but i really don't know much about weight and power handling for the many makers of cabs, does anybody have a sugestion for me, i am looking for something that can handle around 400 watts and under 100 pounds (the lighter the better!)

i kind of like the selection at low down sound, i emailed them today asking about a 1x15 + 2x8 (similar to my 1810, but hopefully lighter because of the smaller speakers--i could be wrong)

i don't know about prices though, the cheaper the better, and absolutly nothing over $1,000 please!

Thanks a million guys (and girls, whatever the case)

2. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    well i'll put in a plug for www.avatarspeakers.com

check out the neo's. you can find your 410neo for $400 shipped.
    it weighs 65lb, and can handle something like 1200watts.

if you like a combination of speaker sizes, you could always get a 115cab and the 210neo.

you'd be about $570 or the two of them.

also you might want to check out www.drbasscabs.com.
    dr. bass has some nice cabs, and pretty good pricing too.
    he offers some cabs with different sizes of speakers in them.
  3. YEah the advatar 410 would be good. For $150 he could build a bottom dedicated sub, since his amp is biamp capable. He could build the "Tuba 24". It is a 24" cube, horn-loaded with a 10" driver. But this enclosure is very efficient, and only requires 100 watts.

The only problem is it might be too much pant-flapping, gut punching bass. It is the acoustical output of 2 ported 18"s.

Research TB and the designer, Bill, will talk about the physics and theories of sound.
  4. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    I have a Tuba 24 sub and DR250a midbass on top of it.Total weight of the two is 100lbs. Louder than 600 watts into an 8x10 using only a 200 watt amp.
  5. If weight was a major issue I would check out flite sound cabs, also direct like avatar and dr., but much more expensive due tto high-tech composite construction.

Would love to hear the tuba and dr250 together.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hows about a bag end 12 and a bag end 15 with coaxial high end driver
    run ya right about a grand, portable, lightweight, and you only have to take the 15 out for most gigs
    oh, and it sounds nuts. :cool: