Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to start?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by hoedown_j, Mar 3, 2005.

1. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    I've played electric bass for around 6 years now, and am currently in high school. For maybe a year to a year and a half I have been playing double bass with both a bow and fingers (pizz) in the school band. Now a few months ago, the school's bass got "fixed" well enough that it made enough sound to be heard in the jazz band (previously played electric in jazz band). I took lessons September through february on electric focusing on theory stuff, but occasionally talking about upright bass because my teacher was an upright player.

So basically I have very little experience and have bad electric habits such as playing perpendicular to the strings as opposed to parallel, using ring finger, etc. I also have a very very low end bow and the bass has a cheap pickup set up, is the wrong height for me, and needs the bridge to be replaced (I took it in to my teacher who looked at it).

I want to get better, but I have no clue where to start and with what books. I don't even have my own double bass, and will be super busy until the end of May with school related stuff. But during the summer I wish to practice my ass of and hopefully resume lessons. Anyone have any advice for my situation? Should I get my own bass?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lessons/Teacher 1st - Play in front of your teacher. Have him/her critique you. Get some marching orders.

THEN practice your ass off.

Get a bass if you have the resources and think it will help you. If you have access to one you can play, you may not need to.

3. There's alot of stuff on this very subject, if you would check the Newbie Links and do some search stuff.
    Just reading through some past threads will help too.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If the school bass is not in that great of condition think about renting over the summer and get lessons in with your teacher with the big boy.

-Matt

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    You should also fill out your profile - that way some of us may know people in you area that can help you out, whether it's loaning/renting a bass, etc. Good luck!