1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Radagascar, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Radagascar

Radagascar

Sep 3, 2006
    My pastor recently let me borrow a bass because I told him I was interested in playing bass for the church band. So I have a beater bass and now I'm wondering where to start learning. I want to have a good understanding of the instrument and don't want to skip on the important things to learn to become a serious player on the bass. I know how to hold it and how to strum with my fingers and I'm wondering where to start to actually learn to play to be able to play in a band of any type. Any suggestions where to start?

2. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    This will take time and you have to commit yourself to practice every day at least one hour. My best suggestion would be to take some lessons. Once you have the rudiments you can just start learning songs off records. Good luck

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Maybe go to a local music store and inquire about some bass teachers. Or ask local musicians if they know of any teachers.

Or go to the Mel Bay website and look at some beginner bass books/DVDs.

4. Torch7

Torch7

May 7, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I play at Church, and two Good investments have been:

Bass Guitar for Dummies & Norm Stocktons "Groovin' for Heaven" -- These resources get you up and running relatively quickly.

I would like to ask what type of music you does your Church play? You should begin to listen to the songs on the playlist from Church, if you have not already started to do so. Learn to identify the basslines in the song, if you cannot already do so. Begin to hum along with the tracks.

I would also try and find other Church bassist, in your area who are looking to fellowship and share knowledge.

Hope those are some good starting points, for you.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021