1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to stay in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Howdy Friends,

I'm staying in LA for 2 nights to attend a friend's wedding out in Riverside. I've always wanted to see the California coast, so I'm taking AMTRACK's Coast Starlight down from SF. I'll be arriving at Union Station in LA, but I have no idea where to stay.

Could anyone recommend a decent place to stay not far from Union Station?

Thanks!

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

To be honest with you, I would get as far away from that part of town as possible. Either go west to the beach cities or go east to Riverside. Just my 2 cents.

fingerguy, pcake and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Don't know about union station, but I go to LA 4-5 times a year for work. They always put me up @ the Beverley Hilton, it's tre' swanky

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Are there trains that connect union station to better destinations in the city?

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Not sure Kevin, I always have a rental car

6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Since I live here I never take the train but I found this by google.

metrolinkmap.

fretter likes this.
  7. If you are driving at all in LA or for your trip to Riverside this site will give you an idea of the driving conditions.

Rush hour is a nightmare in LA and on the drive to Riverside (on the 91).

Sigalert

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You will be driving for a very long time to get from Riverside to the heart of LA.

9. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Is there a reason you are looking for a place near Union Station? It's pretty far from Riverside.

10. Chad-Chicago

Chad-Chicago

Feb 21, 2010
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That sounds like a fun train ride! Are you dead set on Los Angles? I'd opt to stay in Santa Barbara/Oxnard then head into Riverside. Alternately, you keep going south till you hit San Juan Capistrano/San Clemente, stay there, then head into Riverside.

12. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    If you leave at an off peak time, probably about 90 minutes drive. It's not *that* long.
    Yes, I have used the Metro often. There are lot's of great things to do and see at many of the stop on the rail. Museums, center of Hollywood/Walk of Fame, etc..AND, you won't have to deal with either the cost or headache of parking, for which both are high.

13. BryanB

define off-peak? IIRC that is 10pm-5am. :)

catcauphonic and elgecko like this.
  14. I always stay in Thai Town, East end of Hollyweird, but I speak Thai & have Thai food for breakfast & dinner while I'm in town.
    My other motivation for sleeping there is that the accommodation is cheaper than Hollyweird.

Come to think of it, I stayed in Thai Town my first night in L.A., way back in 1991.
    It's also near highway 101.

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I stayed at Su Casa in Venice Beach a couple of years ago. No clue how that place would fit into your plans, but I loved waking up to the sound of people skateboarding to work in the morning.

16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If you want to split the difference between accessibility to LA/Hollywood and being able to get past traffic on your way to Riverside, I'd suggest Pasadena. It's pleasant up there, lots going on, plenty of hotel/motel options, then you can get on(the)210 east which, while there's plenty of traffic, won't be as choked up as in town. You take that to he 215 south and you'll be in Riverside.

pcake likes this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Plus there's the train line between Pasadena and Union Station, a fun little trip, and you can rent a car up there.

pcake likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    pasadena's a good call. i surely wouldn't want to stay near union station! venice is... interesting, but it's nowhere near riverside.

19. BryanB

Pasadena is a very pretty town.

20. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

It has been a long time since I spent time in L.A. I once stayed a very nice hotel right on the beach at Sunset Beach. The beach is in between Seal Beach and Bolsa Chica and close to Huntington Beach. The problem is transportation. There wasn't good public transit in SoCal but maybe things have changed.
    You could fly into John Wayne Airport and that would put you closer to Riverside and some nice beach towns. Do you have a license? Can you rent a car?