1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where to test drive carl thompson before buying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Sep 17, 2008.

1. due to recent back surgery- ive been toying with the idea of another- lighter bass- 4 string lighter than my musicman- and was thinking a carl thompson no frills might be fun to own. to be honest- never played one- not particularly knowledgeable on the subject- just figured that carl will stop making basses while there will be an infinite supply of primus fanboys- so itd be easy to flip if i dont like it.

i have another lightweight bass in mind that i would be much more likely to purchase- but ct basses have that mystique/hype. where do you try out a ct? its not like theyre abundant- never seen one in a store. so- how do you get into custom basses like this? ive only owned fender/musicman- which are everywhere.

thanks in advance for your input.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    To try one out, you either need to know someone who owns one, or it might be possible you can visit his shop and try one out if he has one there. Otherwise you'll have to buy one and hope for the best.

3. thats frustrating- but kind of what i assumed. i need to expand my circle of friends quickly or go the safe route. thanks for the confirmation.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Maybe someone here on TalkBass will see this that lives in your area. Bass players are always willing to help out other bass players!:D

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, they're pretty rare. Your best bet will be another TB'er in your neck of the woods with one. Just yesterday there was a guy here offering to let another TB'er come to his place in Toronto to try out his Alembic, so that kinda thing may work.

6. Another option is to post on Carl's website, as somebody there might get in touch with you. I agree with Cliff, that bass players are usually happy to help one another out. I think test driving a CT bass is a great idea if you can do it. While I love his instruments, they are certainly not for everyone.