Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where was your first gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by morty25, Jul 29, 2002.

1. so where was your first gig. Mine was at my schools concert were i played bass with my band! :p (the good old days)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    On live T.V. :eek: 2 months after I'd started. It was a telethon for a public television station.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, my first gig EVER would have to be a birthday party for a relative of our drummer.

The first gig of my current band was on live television...... *shudders*

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    In a small town in a little local bar. We got there around 8 and most of the people were drunk or well on the way. So of course we were great . It was a blast. Knowing there wasn't anyone in the audience that could descern good music from bad took alot of the tension away and we had tons of fun and the crowd loved us. If they could recognize the first bar of any song we played, that was it............we had um.HE HE HE HE !!!!!!!!:D

5. At the Spa Lounge ..the Taj of the Terrace. Staten Island NY. What a dump..lol.. December 15th 1990. We played for a case of beer. Too bad I didn't drink. Opened with Sympathy for the devil and closed the night with A Day in the life.. with lots of mouldy classic rock in between(Im sure freebird was in the somewhere). Have pictures and a recording too.

Played my trusty Phantom 4 string Bass my dad got me for Christmas 2 yers before. Played through an Amp that the band all pitched in to buy. Also the first and last gig for our coke snorting guitar player Eddie. Replaced by Rod who was running the sound board that night. Ended up playing with Rod and Tommy(Keyboards) for 9 years. Was a great start to a long run.

6. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    My first gig was at a church hall in my hometown. I was 15 and playing in a band called "Destin". We did one original and all the rest were covers. We covered Van Halen, Def Leppard, Dokken, Led Zeppelin, Extreme (hey it was 1989!).:)

7. My first gig (The Defekts) was at the Purdue University Amrory 1980. Big holloween Party! in front of 2500 crazy drunk college students. I was 16.. people were throwing beer and popcorn at us I remember having to stop and pick the popcorn out of my strings...I was suppose to do some backup singing but was so frightened I couldn't hardly even play.... ;)

8. My brother, the drummer, and a friend (guitar player), took a class graduation party gig. (1972 dates me) We knew four songs and played loud and long (five hours). The parents couldn't even stand in the school gym for the decibels. The kids loved it!!!! (I was a kid too). MY wife graduated from that class, we're still together, must not have been that bad?! Right!:D

9. Auburn High School, Auburn, NY like 1986...Battle of the bands contest....

Placed 2nd and 3rd in 2 different bands I was in...

10. At my school, like a month ago. It wasn't a permanent band thing, just a get together once off.

Man, we sucked.

11. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    my first gig was a talent show at parkway central high in Missouri. we played one cover, "freshmen" by the verve pipe. We go tto close the show and everyone liked us. that was 2 years ago. My most recent gig was with a new band in Kent, WA. at another talent show (first gig with this band) we played all original stuff and got the girls screamin. hehe

12. Mine was at my school with my Orchestra for a spring concert. I've performed there with them 2 more times after that. Then my dreadful party.:eek:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Small club, (Club Uncool) in front of about 50 people. Horrible place, cool show. I try to forget about it.

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    High school coffee house in 1995 - six months or so after I'd started playing seriously.

15. August 12th, 2001. We did a suprise concert outside my high school, good turnout for the first 2 hours. Then the faculty decided that the first day of school shouldn't be fun... classic story though. The best thing is that we did some Jaco, now there's actually people that listen to him!

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sometime in 1989 with the school band in front of 100+ screaming french exchange students (mostly girls :D ). I played bass for some weeks at that time. We played covers of course, I remember Grand Funk's We're An American Band, Paranoid, Sultans Of Swing, and some covers of German bands/artists (Ärzte, Toten Hosen, etc.) among others.

I didn't make any major mistakes, but I had to concentrate too much to really enjoy it or have a closer look at the girls in the audience...

17. My first gig is scheduled for September 6th and we're having drummer troubles and I'm trying not to freak myself out about it. I've never played in front of an audience before. Never imagined I would either... yikes :eek:

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My first gig was at a pig roast. There were 250 people there, and three other bands.

19. s10db

s10db

Jul 30, 2002
    Wow! You guys get gigs???

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    My first gig was my first practice with this band I played in... I didn't know there would be people there... and I had been playing bass for only a few months.. man it was a scary time... I thoroughly hated every second of it